Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m looking to buy a first car and I saw this 2006 STS that has 83,500 miles. It has the LY7 engine in it and he has kept it in great shape changed the oil every 3k miles washed it in the winter every week to keep it clean or salt. He’s had no major problems or repairs and is asking $5,000. Good buy?

·
Registered
2009 STS 1SG, 2013 SRX
220 Posts
No. It's 13 years old with the old body/interior and the less desirable V6. You should be able to find the updated version (08+) with a V8, AWD, and ACC/HUD for $5 to 7. Unfortunately even highly optioned STS's are getting cheap in the used market because they're old, and almost all luxury vehicles depreciate like a rock.

3500ish would be better.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,382 Posts
Agreed with all of the above.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sts
6 Posts
In eirope v6 prices go down, v8 goes up.
My 05 sts value up 3500 eur. (2y. ago 5500 now 8000)
STS V can sell in EU 25000 usd.

Its amazing how people here have refiscovered caddy. Best price you get is for less electronic model)(nivomat etc)

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,703 Posts
I think 5000.00 is high for a V6, does it have all the option?
Personally I would go with the V8 Northstar.
The V6 in the 2006 is NOT a reliable engine. At 83K miles it is a ticking time bomb

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
255 Posts
It's probably not a good first car, as it will be somewhat expensive to maintain. Just the nature of the beast, and dependent on whether or not you're betting the food money on it not needing work. There's a lot to go wrong when you have a lot of gadgets, and it's a fine machine in between repairs. I'd look for one at least a grand cheaper, and then only after checking ALL the basics. All the doors & windows controls work? No burnt out headlamps (high labor cost to repair if you're not doing it yourself) is there a clunk from the rear differential going into reverse or drive? (about $1k for dealer to repair). How about oil-puddles underneath and blue smoke on startup? Mine thinks Mobil1 is a beverage.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
101 Posts
It's probably not a good first car, as it will be somewhat expensive to maintain. Just the nature of the beast, and dependent on whether or not you're betting the food money on it not needing work. There's a lot to go wrong when you have a lot of gadgets, and it's a fine machine in between repairs. I'd look for one at least a grand cheaper, and then only after checking ALL the basics. All the doors & windows controls work? No burnt out headlamps (high labor cost to repair if you're not doing it yourself) is there a clunk from the rear differential going into reverse or drive? (about $1k for dealer to repair). How about oil-puddles underneath and blue smoke on startup? Mine thinks Mobil1 is a beverage.
Wow $1k is a lot for that bushing. Labor calls for just under 5 hours to replace it, if you completely remove the differential. I am a mechanic, and I did not have to completely remove the diff to change the bushing, took me about 2 hours. I agree with everything you said, tho.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
255 Posts
W
Wow $1k is a lot for that bushing. Labor calls for just under 5 hours to replace it, if you completely remove the differential. I am a mechanic, and I did not have to completely remove the diff to change the bushing, took me about 2 hours. I agree with everything you said, tho.
Guess I got taken, came to $942.50, $37.08 of which was the actual bushing. The rest was labor and
hdw. to R&R the exhaust to drop the rear. I know some folks say just drop it and have two fat guys hang from the pipes, but the dealer did it by the book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts