Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  AznPrydeRegalRyde 
Initial differences: RL has dumpy styling and poor driving dynamics, even with SH-AWD.

Deeper differences: RL has better-integrated technology and arguably better build quality, and a nice interior.

Both cars are poor sellers with crummy resale value. Follow your gut on this one and enjoy the ride.
Said perfectly.

Personnally, I wouldn't look at either cars unless I planned on keeping them along time. Id be looking at a Volvo S60 or an Infiniti M45. Really really poor resale on both of your choices, but, the adaptive headlights in the RL are the best thing to headlights since HIDs. And the best improvement to lights before HIDS was the "ON/OFF" switch, so go figure. The STS drives/rides so much nicer then the RL (base suspension on the STS4 that I drove)

If I had tao choose either, Id go with the RL, but only becuase it has more usable technology, and I dont think the RL will look as outdated in 3 or 4 years.

Have any of you actually driven the RL? At speed, the dynamics of the SH-AWD are unbelievble. If you want a more sportier ride, look and even better handling, add the A-SPEC suspension, 18" wheels and rear wing. It becaomes a totally different car.

Honestly, I like the exterior syling of the STS a little better than the RL, however the interior of the STS can not compare to the RL.

I wouldn't even waste my time on an S60 unless you are going to buy the R version in a manual (300hp, AWD, 6spd). Now if you really want to talk about poor resale value, Volvo is right up there.

Another bonus for the RL is that it will hardly ever be in the shop.
Has your trolling self ever driven an STS4? I certainly have, Ive driven both actually. The RL's 'dynamics' at speed leave me thinking they put more money into the add then into the actually dynamic handling. The technology is there, but the performance isnt. It feels just as fwd as the TL when you push it. You need to drive other vehicles. And by the way, the STS4 has similar handling upgrades including a magnetically controlled setup.

Ive owned an S60R by the way, had alot of solid points, but its one of those 'the next gen would have been perfect' cars.

Unfortunately there will be no next gen on the S60R :( No R version on the 07 models. Maybe next year, who knows. I do think that Volvo hit a homer on the new S80 so maybe they can carry the momentum on to the s60. Worst part of the Volvo is the depreciation though, only car that depreciates faster than a Volvo is a Maseratti. :(
Yea, Ive heard, its sad...the S60R never really got the attention it deserved. That being said, it was a very confusing car. Even the chassis control on the lowest setting was fairly stiff. You see Volvo on the outside, but it certainly didnt drive like one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.