Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I got an 06 STS AWD. My shocks are in terrible shape. I went on rock auto and bought some and they were for the rear wheel drive for $100. I can barely find struts for this car. The only ones I find are ACDelco and they are $300-600 each. Anyone know where to buy cheaper aftermarket AWD struts for this car?

thanks!

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
518 Posts
Assuming we are talking about the F55 magnetic shocks. Always give details so people can help you better.

There are people who have used the 08 and up struts with success. The rear struts are the same for AWD and RWD. They are only different for the front. The RWD front struts are several inches longer IIRC because the yoke that connects the bottom of the strut to the lower control arm (and the control arm itself) are different. One yoke is sort of U shaped and the other L shaped. Hope this helps. Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming we are talking about the F55 magnetic shocks. Always give details so people can help you better.

There are people who have used the 08 and up struts with success. The rear struts are the same for AWD and RWD. They are only different for the front. The RWD front struts are several inches longer IIRC because the yoke that connects the bottom of the strut to the lower control arm (and the control arm itself) are different. One yoke is sort of U shaped and the other L shaped. Hope this helps. Good Luck
My bad bro, I would have Included it but I have no idea what F55 even means 😂 I need them for the front, the ones that RWD were to long and wouldn’t fit. I’ve been trying to find front struts and can’t anywhere. Does the 08 front struts work on my car too?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Do your front struts have a wire connector at the top which you can see under the hood and beauty covers? Does your Nav radio have configuration buttons for touring and performance? If yes, then you have F55 known as the magnetic shocks which are more expensive but best riding. You could also look for the sticker on the underside of the spare tire cover. One of the many 3 letter/number combinations would be F55.

Some people have said they could not get 05 to 07 struts and that 08 to 11 struts would work and be relatively cheaper. But do your own research - I am just giving you a starting point. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have a Nav radio, I would have to check if they have a beauty cover but I doubt it. I should have mentioned it’s a 2006 3.6 AWD, are you talking about the 2008 4.6 or 3.6 struts? I am sorry I’m not sure exactly what I have. I got the car recently.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Look under spare tire cover in trunk for a small silver colored sticker. Does it have F55 or not? You said struts were very expensive and I assumed F55. Confusion may be my fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the spare cover and There was no sign of a silver sticker. The only thing is when I tried to change the struts the first time the ones on my car are about 3-4 inches shorter than the ones I bought.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As I stated in my first post, the AWD and RWD front struts are different. The rear struts are the same for AWD and RWD but are different between right and left. Let me leave this issue with these statements: If you have a couple of wires connected to the top of any of your shocks = you have F55 aka magnetic shocks. If you do not, then you have other shocks which may or may not be oem. I have no experience or advice for non F55. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts