Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My problem: My STS will turn over but it immediately misfires and dies. You can also hear it very loudly compared to how the car normally should sound. I had to put a new vvt solenoid in it because it was missing one.

History about the car: The car was given to me because the owner thought it was head gasket issue. I dont know because all of the fluids are still sperate even after draining and checking the oil. On the other hand it may be true due to loss of compression.

That's about all I have. I know its a tough case and I don't have much to off of myself but if you guys have any ideas please feel free to share and ask questions.

Thanks!

I just did a scan and this is what came back. I'm using an innova 5610 scanner.

I also just plugged back in the throttle body. And the codes went away. I wish I new what shop this car was taken to so I could get and idea of what they did to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
785 Posts
What engine? What mileage? My first thought if a 3.6 engine is timing chain.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of smart and experienced people here to help you but remember they are not online 24/7 so may be a bit before they answer. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What engine? What mileage? My first thought if a 3.6 engine is timing chain.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of smart and experienced people here to help you but remember they are not online 24/7 so may be a bit before they answer. Good Luck.
It is the 3.6 it has 137,000 on it could you tell me why so I can look into it more and thank you so much!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Timing chain is the most common problem with the 3.6 that causes no run and no compression is a strong symptom of that problem. Sorry to say but - very expensive repair which may mean replacement of the whole engine. Maybe 2 to 5 thousand depending on your skill and contribution to the effort. Caused by allowing the oil to get low, the wrong oil, or not changing the oil often enough. I have not been though this problem becase I generally run the N* 4.6 engine which does not normally have this problem so I will leave this to others for best advice to you now. Good Luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 1st thing to do is to scan it and see if you get any codes and then look those codes up and go from there.

Roy

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The 1st thing to do is to scan it and see if you get any codes and then look those codes up and go from there.

Roy
Checked for codes I got none back

Timing chain is the most common problem with the 3.6 that causes no run and no compression is a strong symptom of that problem. Sorry to say but - very expensive repair which may mean replacement of the whole engine. Maybe 2 to 5 thousand depending on your skill and contribution to the effort. Caused by allowing the oil to get low, the wrong oil, or not changing the oil often enough. I have not been though this problem becase I generally run the N* 4.6 engine which does not normally have this problem so I will leave this to others for best advice to you now. Good Luck.
When I checked the oil it was really bad but the timing chain looked intact. There wasn't metal shaving in the oil of filter I'm gonna good look into it.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
74,071 Posts
"metal shaving(s) in the oil. . . " is NOT good. As posted, timing chains and the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) are most likely the problems - and the dirty oil/filter is a sure sign.

If the metal shavings are ferrous - chain and cam parts or piston ring parts - they'll be attracted by a magnet. Bearing and piston metal is not attracted by a magnet.

I updated your username banner to show what we're working on.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked for codes I got none back

When I checked the oil it was really bad but the timing chain looked intact. There was metal shaving in the oil of filter I'm gonna good look into it.
"metal shaving(s) in the oil. . . " is NOT good. As posted, timing chains and the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) are most likely the problems - and the dirty oil/filter is a sure sign.

If the metal shavings are ferrous - chain and cam parts or piston ring parts - they'll be attracted by a magnet. Bearing and piston metal is not attracted by a magnet.

I updated your username banner to show what we're working on.
Thank you I appreciate it! Also I meant wasn't stupid auto correct lol.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
747 Posts
While the 3.6 is notorious for having timing issues, those codes definitely seem to indicate an issue with the throttle body and/or it's connections. I would not recommend throwing parts at the car, but I would recommend looking at the throttle body and the connections to it.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While the 3.6 is notorious for having timing issues, those codes definitely seem to indicate an issue with the throttle body and/or it's connections. I would not recommend throwing parts at the car, but I would recommend looking at the throttle body and the connections to it.
I just checked it and it was unplugged. I plugged it back in an no codes.

·
Registered
785 Posts
With metal in the oil and filter, there are definitely more problems than just the throttle body. Any extra damage caused by start attempts has probably already happened, but I would still suggest investigation before another start attempt. I have no experience with 3.6 failure so listen to them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
747 Posts
With metal in the oil and filter, there are definitely more problems than just the throttle body. Any extra damage caused by start attempts has probably already happened, but I would still suggest investigation before another start attempt. I have no experience with 3.6 failure so listen to them. Good Luck.
Pretty sure he corrected himself stating that there wasn't metal in the oil or filter, maybe he can clarify or confirm.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My goof - sorry.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
74,071 Posts
Save the clip to an online hosting site and upload the URL.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts