Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought this STS about two months ago and am having a heckuva time trying to get anyone to work on it or find any advice on where to start without throwing parts at it which I cannot afford to do. It all started with the front door locks not working with the keyfob unlock button and wouldn’t open without using the manual key and then almost immediately afterwards I ran into the “keyfob” not detected message and after replacing the batteries in the fob and reprogramming the fob it seemed ok for a few days and then was “hit and miss” as it seemed to keep forgetting the programming and left me in a parking lot a few times trying to reprogram my fob as the car stated “no five detected”. The last time I drove it I left the car accessories on with the key in the fob holder which is located in the console while running into the store (to try and prevent from being stranded again) and when I came out the car wouldn’t start and I haven’t been able to get it to start since. I’ve unhooked the battery, tried resetting the fob which it IS recognizing but When I hit the push button start, everything seems fine and the gauges move from left to right like it’s starting but nothing happens but a light “thump” from the starter. I actually tried to bypass the starter relay and use a wire to jump it over and see if I could get the starter to work and still nothing. Starter had given me no problems besides a few drags after starting prior to this issue but with 123k miles I guess that’s a possibility but I also keep seeing ECM/PCM answers when doing research on what’s happening. Also, just adding something here so if someone is nice enough to help me they have ALL the info, the car didn’t have any aforementioned issues until the prior owner said she lightly backed into something in a parking lot which resulted in a minor dent in the trunk lid but did result in the backup “beep signal” to stop working and since then it seems to also drain the battery after about 4-5 days if the cars not started and driven periodically. Sorry for the overload of info but I’m desperate to get this fixed as it’s my daily driver and I honestly can’t get anyone to say they’ll work on it but a Cadillac dealer which is 45 miles away which means a hefty tow right off the bat and I honestly don’t think that’s an option for me right now financially. Thanks in advance for some great info that I’m hoping to receive.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,105 Posts
Start simple. Rule out battery or starter issues. Battery is easy to test. Starter not as easy but you can remove it and bring it to a parts store for them to test. Or try jumping it with cables (off the car recommended but I've done it on the car before on OTHER vehicles).

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,309 Posts
You might try tapping the starter with a hammer (tap, not rap); if it is a brush issue or a dead spot if may start spinning. If it does that may confirm it's the starter (the light thump may be the solenoid trying to get things going) but brushes or dead spot isn't allowing it to spin.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
517 Posts
All this is before you even have to crawl under the car.
Swap or charge battery till voltage above 12 volts at the battery. Find the starter relay and swap with another nearby that is the same part number. Try to start again. If no start, pull relay again and look at side and bottom for schematic and post numbers. Should be 30, 85,86,87. With a DMM (digital multi-meter) check for power (12 volts) at 30 and 85. You should not have power at 86 or 87. If no power at 30, check the 30 amp fuse STRTR fuse. If no power at 85, check the 10 amp fuse CCP/RLY Coils fuse. If you had to replace either fuse, replace relay and try to start. If ya had power at 30 and 85, use a short piece of jumper wire to connect 30 to 87. CAUTION- make sure vehicle is in park before jumpering. You can get run over because this bypasses safety (example to not let it start in gear). Also be absolutely sure - ONLY 30 to 87. Anything else may do expensive damage. Normal operation is for starter and engine to spin but not start. If it spins, pull jumper and inside car hold down bottom of starter button for 20 seconds (run mode). Go to fuse box and connect jumper again till it starts and then remove jumper. Post back what happened when you did this for further comments. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
268 Posts
I bet it is a bad starter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts