Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
dts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! My boy ran out of gas and continued to start engine until the battery failed. We took the battery to AdvanceAuto and they charged it back up but now the car does not even crank. Any ideas before we tow it to the shop? Thanks and be well, everybody! : )

·
Registered
dts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update; There is a single click sound coming from the rear fuse box under the seat when attempitng to crank over the engine. I replace the battery ($175.00!!) and a bad relay unrelated to the problem but still nothing but a single click from that rear fuse box! I do not think it is a bad starter. I don't think the starter is even getting power!

·
Registered
2008 DTS
107 Posts
I'd tow it to an independent shop or Cadillac dealer. The computer may need a flashing because the power was lost when the old battery was removed. To replace batteries on the new cars an alternate source of power is required. dd

I
Update; There is a single click sound coming from the rear fuse box under the seat when attempitng to crank over the engine. I replace the battery ($175.00!!) and a bad relay unrelated to the problem but still nothing but a single click from that rear fuse box! I do not think it is a bad starter. I don't think the starter is even getting power!

·
Registered
2006 DTS
366 Posts
I would also suggest, like mentioned above by another Forum member, to get it towed to the Cadillac dealership as who knows what other damage your boy might have done.

By the way, how old is your boy who kept on cranking the Caddy with low or no fuel till it died?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
ddowers said:
I'd tow it to an independent shop or Cadillac dealer. The computer may need a flashing because the power was lost when the old battery was removed. To replace batteries on the new cars an alternate source of power is required. dd I
Incorrect.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,473 Posts
The computer may need a flashing because the power was lost when the old battery was removed. To replace batteries on the new cars an alternate source of power is required.
Ummmmm ........ no ! About the worst that would happen - cold turkey battery replacement - would be a possible loss of some sound system head unit settings and/or the onboard diagnostics would self-clear, causing the owner to have to drive a week or so of normal commuting to reset all the emissions monitored systems to "Ready".

The "computer" - Powertrain or Engine Management System - uses internal memory retention, as do many other onboard modules.

"Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and touch the + and - cable terminals together" is a common piece of advice to reset the onboard diagnostics to fresh start in order to watch trouble codes reset as Current - when you're trying to find a fleeting fault condition. In the "newer" Cadillacs, that's since about 2005, you would need an aftermarket scan tool at the OBD port depending on model. Older models vary on the level of self-contained diagnostics readout capabilities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts