Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an opportunity to buy a 2006 dts with 73000 miles on it for cheap but owners son says that the car had started loosing coolant and his father-the owner-was putting coolant in it after driving only short distances.did not say anything about overheating and I forgot to ask.father talked to local dealer and was told it was head gasket without ever looking at car.owner then filled car with anti-freeze and parked it and bought another car.i have owned three cars-two eldorados and one deville base.99 deville and 99 eldo both had bad head bolt threads and 02 eldo only had bad water pump and tensioner and pulley.my question is didn't they make considerable improvements on the n* engine by 2006 to vastly improve on the ealier designs that saw much failure on the threads in block and although not entirely out of the question the odds of a n* in a 2006 having bad head gaskets is low especially with this low milage-granted there is a lot of unknowns but I am sure I can only look at this car in driveway and I don't know about taking chance-I repaired deville with timeserts and I have engine out of eldo to do the same- looking for knowledgeable advice on 2006 n* upgrades to gasket issue-thanks Papalac

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
Whew !!! World' longest sentence. Difficult to read.

Your 1999 Northstars were the worst year for head bolt hole thread failures. Read the poll sticky in Engines; Northstar.

2003 - 2004+ saw newer, longer, coarser thread head bolts and holes.

The 2002 and later Northstars were pretty reliable, head bolt-wise. Anyone's guess as to why the engine in question was overheating - purge line, water pump, water pump drive, coolant leak, head bolt pulled, hoses, piping ............

There are other, better DTS for sale - for cheap ........ your call.

·
Registered
1999 deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply submariner .I do realize that 99 was a bad year for these engines but the cars I have bought were in very nice shape and I wanted to try my luck at repairing these infamous engines.the deville I did in chassis which I don't recommend,and the eldo I pulled out the top which I realy don't recommend.the car that I was asking about is already sold so I guess I will store your information for future reference.-thanks again,papalac.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts