Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2006 DTS base VIN Y
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies and Gents, newbie here. I inherited my grandpa's 2006 DTS in 2013 with 28k.
currently at 132k
where do I begin?
Car has always had a intermittent shimmy at 70+ mph on smooth roads. And, after 2 sets of michelin tires, 4 new struts, a rack/pinion, 2 tie rods, 2 control arms with ball joints, front and rear brakes, rotors, calipers, wheel bearings, and cv axles....it still gives me a wiggle at 75mph.

Power seat stopped fully functioning in 2010. Developed oil/trans fluid/ coolant leaks within the last 30k. New hoses, radiator, thermostat, coolant tank.... Still leaks.

And recently, within the last few days, the heater blows cool. Im done with GM.
Wifes honda has 100k more miles, and all ive done to it is replace the timing set and repaired a bad A/C compressor. No leaks, everything works and its a.... HONDA!

·
Registered
DTS '06 Lux II + Sunroof
21 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

Your oil pan probably needs a new gasket but, if it's only 2-3 drops per day, I wouldn't worry too much. My '06 has been leaking for the past 4 years, I check the level once a month and add oil when needed. As for the trans liquid, check if there are any loose or missing bolts.

For the power seats, it could be a burnt connector, or maybe the memory/power seat module gave up. You need to remove the driver seat to check for both problems. If it's the module, you'll be able to find one at a u-pull scrapyard for like 30 bucks. If you can't find a donor DTS, look for any Lucerne, Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, Silverado or Suburban.

Note: The heated/cooled seat function is controlled by a separate module that is located under the passenger seat. I am mentioning it because, very often, sellers mix up these modules.

Regards

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,339 Posts
If the coolant is low check the level. Coolant leaking below the overflow tank is a common issue with the DTS. If the coolant is ok then feel the heater hoses going to the heater core in the dash if hot then the blend is stuck or the motor stopped working. Check the power seat switches on the side of the seat also the modules under ther driver and passenger.

·
2006 DTS base VIN Y
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked the coolant level? You may have air in the system.
Coolant level is good, hoses are hot.

I forgot to add the headlight ballasts had to be replaced last year...lol

If the coolant is low check the level. Coolant leaking below the overflow tank is a common issue with the DTS. If the coolant is ok then feel the heater hoses going to the heater core in the dash if hot then the blend is stuck or the motor stopped working. Check the power seat switches on the side of the seat also the modules under ther driver and passenger.
So where can I find a diagram of the hvac to locate the blend door(s)?

The seat moves back and forth and rear leans back and forth, but the front adjustment up and down is stuck in one position. Been like that since it was practically new.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,044 Posts
Welcome Aboard !!!

What is the trim level of your car ? It makes a difference in parts and advice. You can get a complete GM build sheet download (plus any 4 others) for $5 from www.compnine.com.

You will NEED the GM/Cadillac service manuals for lots of necessary info and special procedures. Subscribe the car to a multi-year deal at www.alldatadiy.com or look into the same manuals, paper copy, at www.helminc.com.

·
2006 DTS base VIN Y
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Aboard !!!

What is the trim level of your car ? It makes a difference in parts and advice. You can get a complete GM build sheet download (plus any 4 others) for $5 from www.compnine.com.

You will NEED the GM/Cadillac service manuals for lots of necessary info and special procedures. Subscribe the car to a multi-year deal at www.alldatadiy.com or look into the same manuals, paper copy, at www.helminc.com.
2006 base model DTS vin Y. One owner (inherited from grandpa). No wrecks and serviced regularly. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
238 Posts
"it still gives me a wiggle at 75mph. "

Try a road-force tire balance, if you can find a shop that can do that. Or just do 80.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,339 Posts
The seat moves back and forth and rear leans back and forth, but the front adjustment up and down is stuck in one position. Been like that since it was practically new.
If you feel comfortable doing it, remove the driver's seat. The back unbolts and the front slides out. Check for something jamming the front gears or any thing broken. These cars can usually be found at the junkyard if parts are needed for the seat.

·
2006 DTS base VIN Y
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)

View attachment 589336
Thank you for the diagram. Now to determine which module is possibly the culprit! Wish me luck!

"it still gives me a wiggle at 75mph. "

Try a road-force tire balance, if you can find a shop that can do that. Or just do 80.
I’m gonna change the driver side cv axle and pray to the aftermarket gods...lol!

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
238 Posts
Does your heat spew cold air on both sides?
My driver's side turns cold after about 15 minutes, so I taped over the vents and cranked up the passenger thermostat. The failing blend actuator is on the far left of the diagram, so it would mean disassembling the dash to replace it. The other two can be reached by removing the glove box liner, supposedly.

It took a road force balance to stop my 04 Deville from wiggling at 65, until I bought better tires. Its steering later began wandering, I think because of long trips carrying too much weight--my 6'5", 500 lb late BIL, sister, and luggage. My repair shop couldn't fix it, so I sold the car, though I preferred it to my DTS in many ways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Road vibration could be front wheel bearings.

As far as the heated seats, there are very likely burned connectors. You can actually purchase the pins at the dealership and replace them in the connector if you are careful. Other option is to purchase another connector that will handle the higher amperage.

I have rebuilt these connectors twice. The last time I put silver conducting lubricant on the connectors, not repaired since!

also to note the valve cover gaskets will leak oil, I never replaced mine and sold the car at 168K miles. also, the intake manifold can leak water, which is a major issue to repair, if that is a leak source.

·
Administrator
71,044 Posts
The OP's 2006 DTS Northstar engine has a dry intake manifold. No coolant involved. same for ralph1960s car.

These Devilles and Sevilles commonly suffer from broken heated seat resistance wires in the seat pads.

There are many other things to check in these FWD cars before throwing parts into the front suspension in response to vibrations.

Please check your advice before you post incorrect information, Thanks.

·
Registered
Deville 2004
1 Posts
Hello Ladies and Gents, newbie here. I inherited my grandpa's 2006 DTS in 2013 with 28k.
currently at 132k
where do I begin?
Car has always had a intermittent shimmy at 70+ mph on smooth roads. And, after 2 sets of michelin tires, 4 new struts, a rack/pinion, 2 tie rods, 2 control arms with ball joints, front and rear brakes, rotors, calipers, wheel bearings, and cv axles....it still gives me a wiggle at 75mph.

Power seat stopped fully functioning in 2010. Developed oil/trans fluid/ coolant leaks within the last 30k. New hoses, radiator, thermostat, coolant tank.... Still leaks.

And recently, within the last few days, the heater blows cool. Im done with GM.
Wifes honda has 100k more miles, and all ive done to it is replace the timing set and repaired a bad A/C compressor. No leaks, everything works and its a.... HONDA!
Newbie,

I had a 2006 DTS for many years and had many of the same issues. First the Shimmy haunted me for a while and it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. I replaced it and it didn't fix the issue albeit it changed subtly as the speed at which i experienced changed. I felt it at 70 and it seem to change to about 55. I replaced the tires along with rotors shock etc. It turned out to be a second defective wheel bearing. If you purchased a cheap aftermarket wheel bearing you may want to look at that again. As far as the leaks, live with it its a leaky motor and tranny and after chasing that problem for years and lots of time and money I wished I would have listened to my inner voice. I to had a power seat failure and it what the cable connector. I chased that a while and it was a rusty contact. You could not see it so the only way I found it was with a meter. The fix was simply cleaning the dead contact and some elbow effort of plugging and unplugging and it cleared up.

I since purchased a 2008 DHS with 40,000 miles and have driven it for the last three year and put 30,000 miles on it and no parts failures on performance upgrades.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
71,044 Posts
"DTS" in several trim levels was built from 2006 - 2011. No DHS. The Deville died in the end of MY 2005.

·
2006 DTS base VIN Y
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Road vibration could be front wheel bearings.

As far as the heated seats, there are very likely burned connectors. You can actually purchase the pins at the dealership and replace them in the connector if you are careful. Other option is to purchase another connector that will handle the higher amperage.

I have rebuilt these connectors twice. The last time I put silver conducting lubricant on the connectors, not repaired since!

also to note the valve cover gaskets will leak oil, I never replaced mine and sold the car at 168K miles. also, the intake manifold can leak water, which is a major issue to repair, if that is a leak source.
Car doesn’t have heated seats. The issue is front seat tilt doesn’t work anymore. Thanks

·
1993 Deville 4.9
20 Posts
I have a 2011 DTS that had the same problem with the seats , never bother me since it was a function that I rarely use, however , during a body repair , they disconnected the battery to check the parking sensors and upon reconnecting it again , the issue with the seat went away .
Call it luck , but it fixed that problem .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts