Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got this message and pulled over right away, checked oil level and it was fine.
Started it again and the message was gone.
Worked fine for a few days then got the message again.

Read somewhere that there is a TSB about the sensor, is it the same sensor
as the one for oil pressure or is it just a switch?
What is the part called and where is it on the engine?

Rock Auto suggests ACDelco D1836A
I'll probably order it on Amazon Prime with fast, free shipping.

Thanks in advance, Pete

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,428 Posts
He's saying he's getting an erroneous LOW OIL PRESSURE message

Pete, you are right on the money with the part you posted. That is the oil pressure sensor, also called the oil pressure sender. If your oil level is good and you get the low pressure message the pressure sensor is on its way out. D1836A is the only part you want to get as it is the OEM part, and Northstars are picky about having only OEM parts.

To replace the part, you will need a specialized socket, should be able to retrieve it from any parts store. It's a big honker, make sure it fits the sensor . The oil pressure sensor screws into the oil filter adaper, so if you climb under the car, look up at the oil filter, and see where it screws onto the engine, that is the area to look. Not sure where it is on an 06 DTS, but I believe it attached to the right (passenger side) of the oil filter adapter (that's where it is on a 96). It is a tight squeeze, but I was able to replace mine while laying in the gutter of the street near my parking place at the time (this was back in college LOL). You can do yours too! Once you get the old one off, make sure you get the new one started right (Don't want to strip those threads), and then make sure it's nice and snug. No need to go Hulk on it, a nice firm OOOMPH on the socket handle will do.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
yup - The Northstar is notorious for having troubles with oil pressure switches - it's an on/off switch, not a pressure sender.

You need to remove the lower air deflector - pry out the center pin of the plastic rivets, the body collapses, out comes the rivet. Reverse for assembly, spares on the HELP! racks at parts stores.

Here's the oil filter adapter for an older (pre-2003) engine but you get the idea. If you remove the filter and adapter to make the sensor change MUCH easier you'll need the new style 3-bolt gasket assembly.

Click to enlarge -

Oil filter adapter.gif oil filter adapter late gasket.jpg

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm under the car and there is no sign of the sensor, I'm going out to remove
the air deflector and hoping that works.

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is behind the bracket for the front engine mount and seems impossible to get
to without taking the "manifold" for the oil filter off.

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave up on this repair planning to have our local shop do it. Partly it has just been
too hot this Summer.
Thanks to Submariner409 for the pictures but those are pre 2003, not sure if the
details are the same.
I could not see or even feel the bolts to remove the oil filter "manifold" and could not
see the connector for the sensor. Now I'm wondering how it is possible to do this
job, do you remove the connector by feel - is there a latch, don't want to break it?
Then is it possible to get the special socket in there behind the motor mount with
just the right length extension to remove the sensor?

Anyone who has done this want to comment on the best procedure?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I gave up on this repair planning to have our local shop do it. Partly it has just been
too hot this Summer.
Thanks to Submariner409 for the pictures but those are pre 2003, not sure if the
details are the same.
I could not see or even feel the bolts to remove the oil filter "manifold" and could not
see the connector for the sensor. Now I'm wondering how it is possible to do this
job, do you remove the connector by feel - is there a latch, don't want to break it?
Then is it possible to get the special socket in there behind the motor mount with
just the right length extension to remove the sensor?

Anyone who has done this want to comment on the best procedure?
Service Procedure
Important:
This service procedure is different from the service procedure found in the appropriate service manual. In the near future the service manual will be updated with this new information.

Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Switch Replacement

1.Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
2. Remove the air deflector. Refer to Front Air Deflector Replacement in SI.
3. Remove the engine oil filter and save. Avoid spilling excess oil from the filter.
4. Remove the 3 bolts that mount the engine oil filter adapter to the engine block.
5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the engine oil pressure switch.
6. Remove the engine oil filter adapter housing and gasket from the engine, and then from the vehicle.
7. Remove the engine oil pressure sensor switch from the oil filter adapter.
8. Clean and inspect the oil filter adapter. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter Cleaning and Inspection in SI.
9. Install a new engine oil pressure sensor switch, p/n 12571721, with Teflon thread sealer to the oil filter adapter.
Tighten
Tighten the engine oil pressure sensor switch to 16 Y(12 lb ft).
Install a new engine oil filter adapter gasket, p/n 12573044, and the 3 bolts that attach the engine oil filter adapter to the engine block. Then connect the electrical connector to the engine oil pressure sensor switch.
Tighten
Tighten the engine oil filter adapter bolts to 25 Y(18 lb ft).
10. Lightly lubricate the gasket on the removed oil filter with clean engine oil.
12. Install the oil filter. Make sure that the oil filter is filled with engine oil.
Tighten
Tighten the oil filter to 32 Y(24 lb ft).
13. Install the air deflector. Refer to Front Air Deflector Replacement in SI.
14. Lower the vehicle.
15. Adjust the engine oil level to the full mark.
16. Inspect for oil leaks after engine start up.

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much, I could only see 1 bolt on the adapter, good to know there are 3. I'll
have to try getting to the other 2 by feel if I try it again.

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well .... I never got this fixed, bought all the parts but it has been too hot to
work on it all summer. I used Walmart full synthetic last oil change, the only
time I used this oil. Then a few months ago I went back to Penzoil Platinum
and within 1000 miles the problem vanished. We do want to fix it but no rush
at this point.
Thanks again to everyone for the procedure and tips, I will probably get to it
at some point.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade, 2007 DTS
84 Posts
I had this problem and was able to replace the sensor without removing the adaptor. I do have the luxury of the lift, so I was able to get myself at an angle underneath the car where I could sorta see it directly behind the lower center engine mount. Take the oil filter off (necessary otherwise you can't get anywhere near it) and I was able to get onto it with a set of small (maybe 6") channel locks. Luckily, the original one was not very tight so I was able to break it free with said channel locks and unscrew it. Then just thread the new one in by hand and use the channel locks to snug it up. Haven't seen the message in 2+ years now.

I posted a photo of the location in this thread:
Replacing Oil Pressure Switch

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 1996 STS - RIP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you, I have all the parts and might give it another try at the next oil change
but it is working fine now so not a top priority. I think that I might have been
looking at the wrong sensor the first time I tried it since I don't think I was near
the oil filter. Your pics will help a lot - Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts