Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my passenger side hub on my 2006 DTS without any issues. Now I am on the drivers side and the hub is stuck on the axle. I removed all three bolts holding the hub on and had given a tap on the axle nut, but did not notice any movement. After all three bolts were out I was able to free the hub from the ring it sits in without any real issues. However the hub is stuck on the splines of the axle and refuses to budge. I have already tried heating with a propane torch and using penetrating fluid. After beating the axle nut to a bloody pulp I tried using a puller and nearly broke that as well.

Please help asap as my wife needs this vehicle tomorrow night. I will be continuing all night but I don't understand how it can be so stuck together.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
107 Posts
try map gas in the yellow container. It gets hotter than propane. I've used it to remove many a rusted bearing race on my boat trailers over the years.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fought and fought and bent a puller. I decided to take it to the local dealership this morning. They do a great job and I trust them, plus I had a coupon for 20% off any service (great timing for that to come in the mail!) Hopefully then can get it taken apart without any issues. Thanks for the suggestion of MAP gas. I will try that next time I need to apply heat to something.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
146 Posts
Do you mean your bearing hub is stuck in place after you took the three bolts out? If you are putting in a new one, then you could try tapping it with a hammer. I found mine rusted in my older cadillac so bad it wouldn't come out. I took the axle bolt off and then used a rubber mallet to push the axle bolt back in a tiny bit, then I took a large screw driver and tapped where it meets metal. Once I got it to move a tiny bit, I used the large screw driver end of an "L" shaped tire iron to wedge into the seam between the bearing hub and the backing it bolts into. I did this on three sides, then once I had it out far enough, I just used leverage to pull it out a bit on each side till it was completely out. If you have to just move it out of the way I wouldn't recommend what I did because I figured if I damaged it that it wouldn't matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts