Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS LIII. Occasionally the check engine light will flash, the service stabilitrak message and service traction control message will all come on at once. While this is happening the car runs very rough. It usually lasts under 5 minutes and then it goes back to normal and the check engine light stays solid for a while then even that eventually goes off. I did check the code while the light was on and it just showed a single cylinder misfire. Had it to the cadillac garage and they said it would actually have to be doing it while it was there that they didn't see anything wrong with it. I just now has 100K and I have owned it since it had 40K. I am at a loss since the dealer doesn't even know what to tell me. Anyone ever experienced this combination before?

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
First check for any engine code and second check every bolt of the air intake manifold they may be loose there are 10 of them just tide them just be careful they brake of easy.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
83 Posts
Re: 2006 DTS check engine light, service stabilitrak and service traction control HEL

Check the intake manifold bolts as grunion said and also check the hidden un-unsed and capped nipple down and to the left of the power steering pump which is also on the intake manifold - they are prone to splitting and was the cause of my own exact same issue. Search these threads for another similar post where I posted a picture of what you are looking for - its a t-shaped rubber nipple that is hidden but can seen with a flashlight towards the bottom of the passenger side of the black plastic intake manifold.

·
Registered
seville
2 Posts
Re: 2006 DTS check engine light, service stabilitrak and service traction control HEL

I find a temporary fix for when your service stabilitrak comes on.
I think it's related to security system in the car.

When the light come on, do the following.

1. pull over whenever you are able and put the car in park.
2. turn off the engine and remove the key out of the ignition
3. Open the driver
4. press the unlock button on your key fob or the door
5. close the driver door.
6. press the lock button on the key fob or on the door
7. press the unlock button on the key fob or on the door
8. Start the car.
9. Viola

This should clear it for a while. if it doesn't work the first time, repeat it the process for about 5 times.
I owned a 2006 DTS Performance. It worked every time.

·
Registered
2006 cts
1 Posts

Can you give me more information.
It says above thatbyou posted a picture, but I don't see it.

·
Registered
06 DTS Pfm, 06DTS Lux2, 96 FWB, 08 STS-V(sold)
69 Posts

Those codes and symptoms happen almost every time something goes wrong with my car. For what it's worth, your engine, traction control and stabilitrack are all fine.

Like the guys said, check your codes at Autozone and research those. Once you ID and fix it, the other codes will go away.

·
Registered
2006 CTS Sport, 2005 Escalade, 2002 Escalade, 2006 DTS
1 Posts

your traction control and stabilitrack receive their input signals from the wheel bearings. If you get your codes read you should get a message that tells you which wheel. I had a stuck caliper which was causing the pad to shave the rotor and the metal filings were collecting on the magnet for the wheel bearing and throwing a code. If your bearing is going bad or you have a broken timing ring it could cause a problem code. I have a brake and traction control message that right now that came on the other day that I will be troubleshooting tomorrow. I previously found on my front passenger side the wheel bearing plug had come undone and I also had some harness wiring that looked as if it suffered overheating. The single cylinder misfire - you usually get the exact cylinder if it was a 3XX code - 300 being random, 301 - cylinder, 302-cylinder 2 , so on and so on. check the plug wire or pull the plug and look for fouling.

·
Registered
DTS
2 Posts

Thanks for this post... All the manifold bolts were loose! Engine light went off...remote starter worked again ... and a bonus was ..I had an intermittent oil smell in the cockpit. It was oil pooled on manifold from where the bolt was loose. It's like the Trifecta for me today at no cost.. Thank's Cadillacswede

·
Registered
2006 DTS II
15 Posts
For those with the same problem... I just got mine fixed.
2006 DTS
Same thing. Traction control light,,, then "Service Stabilitrack" message,,, then engine starts running like shit,,, then check engine light flashes. Intermittent problem that eventually just stayed.

The mechanic found that the wiring harness "behind a heat shield" was chaffing, had rubbed into a few wires, and shorted them to ground. He fixed it. Driven about 400 miles since then with no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not exactly the same issue, but, I was returning from Tucson when the "Service Stabilitrak and Service Brake Assist" warning came across the dash. The car dropped out of cruise control but only for a few seconds. The warning lights went away immediately and I was able to resume the cruise. That was about 700 miles ago and haven't seen the warning since. Now, I "did" have a minor alignment done in Tucson before heading home and they checked my pads rotors, calipers, etc. The caliper was slightly warped and they recommended having it "turned" when I got home. I suppose this could have been part of the problem since it appears many issues here are electronically related.

----------

Oops. I meant the "rotor" was slightly warped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts