Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
At the beggining, i am sorry for my bad english. ;)
I am a proud owner of 2006 cts with 2.8 v6.
I need a little help from you guys.
When I started the engine about 2 weeks ago, loud whining noise apeared.
It sounds like a 'bad bearing' type of whine, and its noticeable at idle and when i'm barerly touching gas pedal (1k-1,5k rpm).
It does not change when the car is on drive or neutral.
I think that the noise is coming from underneath, propably from the engine to transmission connection.

When i came home that day, the noise disapeared.
I was driving the car normally through a couple of days.
This morning I started the engine after a week, and the noise came again.

Its better to mension, that about a month ago, i discovered that bottom of engine is wet from oil. That surprised me, couse i never had problems with oil leaks. I also never let the oil level to stay below normal.

What can it be? Has anybody had similar problem?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,296 Posts
Abnormal sounds are always hard to diagnose over the internet.

On the couple of occasions when you've heard the noise, did you open the hood to see if you could locate the source?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >132k miles
762 Posts
Just for clarification, is the noise at idle (as the title states) or at 1-1.5k RPMs, or both? Regardless, I suspect it is something simple like the idler/tensioner bearings. Both tensioners were noisy in mine so I recently replaced. You can test yours by removing the serpentine belts, one at a time, and then testing for the noise. Also check the power steering fluid level. A hose leak may be the source of oil on the bottom of the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply!
The noise is starting from idle and goes up to 1,5k rpm, when its even louder.
I also found out what it was.
My alternator failed.

So I think, that I'll have a hard time replacing that thing.
Wish me good luck...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >132k miles
762 Posts
Definitely need some luck! Actually it isn't that hard but is time consuming the first time (a few hours). Watch youtube video for some guidance. The only way to reach the back bolt is by going through the wheel well. Remove the tire, lift the rubber flap and you can see the bolt. Also, while you have the belts off, might as well check the bearings in the tensioners. They should rotate smoothly but should not freely spin when you let them go.

Also, get a new ACDelco, reman ACDelco, or reman Denso for replacement. Otherwise you may need to do the job four times before you get a good one (like I did) if you get a Carquest reman! Now that I have done mine 4 times I can do it in about 30 min.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts