Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2006 CTS last year that has only 65,000 miles. However, the steering wheel shakes but only between 40 and 55 mph. My mechanic has advised me that it is the wheels which are not OEM. Tires have been changed out for new Goodyear P225/50R18's but no improvement. So now I am searching for a set of OEM wheels. Can anyone confirm that the wheels are the most likely cause of this shake before I go out and replace my rims? Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,837 Posts
You - or a good tire shop - need to check the wheel hub, rotor, and wheel mounting surfaces for surgical cleanliness. ANY runout and you get shimmy. Invest in a Hunter Road Force balancing job - all 4 tires. If the wheels are high quality, the correct bolt pattern, offset, and center bore alignment then they could be made anywhere and still be just fine.

The tires should be within 0.25" of the original tire outside diameter to preserve powertrain and speedo calibrations. Specs in www.tirerack.com - the original tire size and speed rating is on the driver's door edge sticker.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Blackwing, 2014 CTS-V Sport,1987 Buick Grand National,1972 Pontiac,2018 Ram megacab stick
838 Posts
Wrong forum but just go to discount Tire and have them try to balance the wheels. Also that is 100% not a Cadillac wheel

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You - or a good tire shop - need to check the wheel hub, rotor, and wheel mounting surfaces for surgical cleanliness. ANY runout and you get shimmy. Invest in a Hunter Road Force balancing job - all 4 tires. If the wheels are high quality, the correct bolt pattern, offset, and center bore alignment then they could be made anywhere and still be just fine.

The tires should be within 0.25" of the original tire outside diameter to preserve powertrain and speedo calibrations. Specs in www.tirerack.com - the original tire size and speed rating is on the driver's door edge sticker.
Thank you for this information. I am having it checked on Monday by a very good mechanic. Curiously the oil was about a quart low so I topped it off with Mobil 1 three days ago. The steering wheel shake has since stopped. Not sure if this makes any sense but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wrong forum but just go to discount Tire and have them try to balance the wheels. Also that is 100% not a Cadillac wheel

Actually I have been there 3 or 4 times. First they said my tires were bad, so I bought four new Goodyears. No change. I then went back and had them rotated, switched front to back, and balanced. No improvement. I went back again and got a guy who seemed a bit more knowledgeable. After he moved the weights around and shifted one of the tires position, things seemed much better for a month or so, but then the steering wheel shake was back. As I just mentioned in the previous post, the oil was about a quart low so I topped it off with Mobil 1 three days ago. The steering wheel shake has since stopped. Not sure if this makes any sense but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Blackwing, 2014 CTS-V Sport,1987 Buick Grand National,1972 Pontiac,2018 Ram megacab stick
838 Posts
Actually I have been there 3 or 4 times. First they said my tires were bad, so I bought four new Goodyears. No change. I then went back and had them rotated, switched front to back, and balanced. No improvement. I went back again and got a guy who seemed a bit more knowledgeable. After he moved the weights around and shifted one of the tires position, things seemed much better for a month or so, but then the steering wheel shake was back. As I just mentioned in the previous post, the oil was about a quart low so I topped it off with Mobil 1 three days ago. The steering wheel shake has since stopped. Not sure if this makes any sense but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I 100% guarantee the oil has nothing to do with a steering wheel shake. Maybe an engine vibration but not steering wheel. You either have a loose suspension joint or bad wheel bearing if the wheels have been ruled out. Jack the car up on one side and grip the wheels and try to move it back and forth and see if there is any play or looseness. Should be tight. Then see if you can tell what's moving but probably need a competent shop to figure what part is bad.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,837 Posts
Engine oil has absolutely nothing to do with steering wheel shake unless the engine has grenaded and is on the ground at 55.

Thread moved to CTS 1st. gen.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >140k miles
1,056 Posts
As others said, oil level has nothing to do with shimmy at 40-55. However you should keep an eye on oil level and make sure it doesn't get low...the timing chains on these cars are known to fail if oil gets low too often. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about the oil consumption; mine uses most if I drive freeways but much less if I only drive around town. I determined that the oil is sucked through the PCV at sustained high RPMs. Just check the oil every fuel stop when on a trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I 100% guarantee the oil has nothing to do with a steering wheel shake. Maybe an engine vibration but not steering wheel. You either have a loose suspension joint or bad wheel bearing if the wheels have been ruled out. Jack the car up on one side and grip the wheels and try to move it back and forth and see if there is any play or looseness. Should be tight. Then see if you can tell what's moving but probably need a competent shop to figure what part is bad.

It started shaking again today. Thank you for the information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts