Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS and I’ve been experiencing a clunk in my steering when turning. It seems like the steering clunks at lower speeds as I don’t hear anything at higher speeds. I just replaced both outer tie rods because I thought that was causing the clunk but i still hear the clunk. Does anyone have a similar problem or what they did to fix it??

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >136k miles
922 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing it in person but several possibilities come to mind...sway bar links, ball joints, rack & pinion, etc. Pretty much anything that moves while turning. I would start with an accurate diagnosis. Otherwise lots of parts may be replaced unnecessarily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell without seeing it in person but several possibilities come to mind...sway bar links, ball joints, rack & pinion, etc. Pretty much anything that moves while turning. I would start with an accurate diagnosis. Otherwise lots of parts may be replaced unnecessarily.
Thanks for the reply. My buddy thought maybe the sway bar links after taking it for a ride so I’ll definitely have to take another look.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >136k miles
922 Posts
Personally I would just go ahead and replace them if they are original. Mine were toast at 90k and probably should have been replaced long before that.
Just a suggestion...do not get the MOOG links or any others with grease fittings! This feature is great in concept but the tight space makes greasing them nearly impossible (I need a straight coupler for the top zerk and a 90 degree coupler for the bottom). I much prefer the disposable ones that last 60 or 70k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I would just go ahead and replace them if they are original. Mine were toast at 90k and probably should have been replaced long before that.
Just a suggestion...do not get the MOOG links or any others with grease fittings! This feature is great in concept but the tight space makes greasing them nearly impossible (I need a straight coupler for the top zerk and a 90 degree coupler for the bottom). I much prefer the disposable ones that last 60 or 70k miles.
Thank you for the information it probably is time for them to get replaced considering I have 84k miles which I’m going to assume have not been replaced yet

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
251 Posts
Yep, links. Thankfully they are cheap and easy, just like m...

...Nvm that was to be too easy.

Sent from Earth II using Tapatalk V

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
251 Posts
Watch this video. It'll show you how to diagnose. It's super easy. Always good to know vs guessing...

Sent from Earth II using Tapatalk V

1 - 7 of 7 Posts