Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2006 CTS 2.8
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a 2006 CTS with the 2.8L V6 RWD. I was wondering if I obtained the drivetrain from a non-working 2006 STS AWD if it was possible to swap the part that drive the front when into the CTS, or if that would required the entire drivetrain from the STS. Or if they're just too different altogether to pull something like that off.

·
Super Moderator 2005 CTS-V
7,693 Posts
Anything's possible with enough time, money, and fabrication skill. You would blazing a new trail if you tried to do it. The '03-07 CTS and the '05-11 STS were both based on the Sigma platform, so they are related, but I don't know how much commonality there is when it comes to things like mounting the drivetrain.

I know the STS uses different front knuckles than the CTS; a couple/few CTS-V guys have installed STS front spindles because they're lighter (cast aluminum rather than cast steel), but doing so requires different ball joints in the upper control arms. I believe the STS also has the steering rack in a different position relative to the control arms and knuckles, which might be a deal-breaker.

While they're based on the same platform, I'm guessing the STS is wider, which would probably mean the front axles would be too long (wider track width on the STS). Like I said, that's just a guess, but you could look up vehicle dimensions and see.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
AAIIIC