Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I opened the Right Rear Door only to find out that it would not close. It just wouldn't catch. Tried it a half dozen times closing it a little harder, but I didn't slam it. I had just bought some WD-40 Special "Dry Lube" Spray and decided to try it. Still nothing. I then took a screw driver and flipped the latch manually and it locked. I released it and tried it again. It worked. Not sure if it was the spray or something weird, but it worked. I'm just glad it was me this morning and not my wife at the grocery store on a cold night. My question is, are Door problems common with these cars or was this just a strange rare occurrence?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
This morning I opened the Right Rear Door only to find out that it would not close. It just wouldn't catch. Tried it a half dozen times closing it a little harder, but I didn't slam it. I had just bought some WD-40 Special "Dry Lube" Spray and decided to try it. Still nothing. I then took a screw driver and flipped the latch manually and it locked. I released it and tried it again. It worked. Not sure if it was the spray or something weird, but it worked. I'm just glad it was me this morning and not my wife at the grocery store on a cold night. My question is, are Door problems common with these cars or was this just a strange rare occurrence?

Thanks
Sounds like someone locked that door while it was open. It can be rather hard to get that latch open in that position. Glad to hear all is well..:)

·
Registered
2006 CTS
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the reply, but it didn't happen that way. It closed just fine the last time we used it and it opened just fine this morning (we keep it unlocked in the drive), but it just wouldn't close right. When I tripped the latch manually, I was just testing it to see if it was locking correctly. It could possibly need an adjustment, I'll just have to keep an eye on it for a while.

Welcome to the site by the way.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.7L
510 Posts
I have not seen anything on the doors. I would use it and keep an eye on it. anything is possible. the latch could have been tripped by accident, getting a bit stiff where WD40 did the trick, anything. Just see if it is a chronic issue or just a fluke.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,767 Posts
You aren't the first, it happened on mine as well as a few others on here. But the WD-40, even the original, worked as well as the screwdriver trick. For me, and I believe the others, it happened when it was cold out as well.

Keep a strap in the back seat or some where. For the just in case it happens out on a trip and it won't stay close. Use the strap between the door grips from the inside. Obviously keep people away from that door during that trip.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 CTS
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You aren't the first, it happened on mine as well as a few others on here. But the WD-40, even the original, worked as well as the screwdriver trick. For me, and I believe the others, it happened when it was cold out as well.
This was the reply I was looking for, thanks. Had a feeling that it was more than just a fluke.

Keep a strap in the back seat or some where. For the just in case it happens out on a trip and it won't stay close. Use the strap between the door grips from the inside. Obviously keep people away from that door during that trip.
We are thinking alike. I just told my wife early this morning that I'm going to keep some rubber straps in the trunk, just in case this happens on the road somewhere when I'm not around.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts