Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I have a few things Id like to see if I can get some help on. About four months ago my wife and I bought a 2006 CTS 3.6 with 48,xxx
Car is a beautiful creme color inside and out. Recently problems started to arise though. The T/C , ABS and Brake light started to come on sporadically. When this happens the steering gets tight and the brake lights remain on in P D R, whatever, until the car is turned offOnly the right side of the third brake light lights up during this time) sometimes the battery would die after 2 days of non-use, and sometimes 6 hours it would die. I took the car to the dealer but by the time I got there, the warning lights had turned off. The warning lights continued to light up more frequently until the lights stay on all day every day. The information center says service traction control, service steering system, and service service stability system. My friends hooked up his ABS scanner from his job to see what codes came up. The codes were c0281 Dynamic rear proportioning Performance and C0550 Electronic Control Unit Performance. I had a few mechanics check out all the wheels and tires brakes rotors and calipers lines and all and they were all fine. I forgot to mention that when we bought the car, all four rotors and brake pads had to be replaced due to the fact that they all had a lip on the edge of rotors. So the dealer says that they need like at least $1500 to fix one of the codes and God only knows how much to fix the other code.
Has anyone gone through this? The car is at 72k miles now. They say Im not covered under warranty so I'd have to pay out of pocket!! Any info/advice would be appreciated! Thx :hmm: :helpless: :nono:

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Some of this stuff sounds like bad ECU. But I am by no means 100% qualified on the subject. Can anyone else chime in?

·
Registered
Cadillac
220 Posts
A low or dying battery will cause all sorts of electrical anomalies- how old is it? If it's more then 4 or 5 yrs old, that may be your problem (you say it dies after 2 days of non-use). Also, the lip on the rotors is not the issue, it's whether the rotor thickness is still within spec. Same goes for the pads. I hope they didn't rip you off.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a brand new battery and it took a while but it started to drain it also. I bought the correct rotors/pads, I bought them separately and had a friend install for me. I double checked his work with other mechanics though. Can a bad ECU drain the battery? And cause abs ebcm to fail? Anyway Im saving up to fix it, but thx for the info.

·
Registered
CTS 2006
2 Posts
if car have new battery and still drain in couple of days, this means that the dynamo is not charging the battery and whenever you use the car it takes from the battery charge so it drains.

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Wow I also have 2006 and this pretty much describes the problems I am having to a T. I was gonna get a new battery but now Im not sure if that is needed...

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
51 Posts
Anyone solve this issue? I am also getting the EXACT same issue with codes C0281 and C0550.

My next plan is to buy a used EBCM from a 2006 3.6L and install it myself. If I do this, I believe I still have to calibrate correct? I am going to sell my car and buy a 2010 CTS, but I can't sell my car with this issue.

Any help?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm all but sure that this is an ECM problem. Too bad no one ever reported back to tell us what their exact problems turned out to be. Anytime the car is running well enough but you get a multitude of codes, its usually the ECM. Then once in a while someone changes the Body Control Module and it works.
Post number 8 has links to various threads where the cars had similar symptons to yours. Its title is "No start, key stuck, etc".
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...0-2003-2007-cadillac-cts-warranty-limits.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, but I thought that the EBCM and ECM were two differnt things.

On that thought, the issue all of us are having here is with the EBCM. Can you offer any insight on that?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I haven't seen a whole lot of body control modules going bad, and I am going to compile all that I can find sometime soon. The ECM controls the body control module.

The electronic control unit (ECU) is a state of the art (at the time) 32 bit 25 MHz Bosch Motronic ME9 microprocessor. The ECU communicates via data bus with the separate vehicle control module which manages the ABS system, gauges, and other chassis functions. The ECU is not affected by heat, high speed vibration, or electromagnetic interference. Its micro hybrid design embeds electronic circuity on four layers of sandwich substrate, reducing the size of the control unit and increasing durability. It can withstand temperatures of 230 degrees centigrade and vibration up to 30 G's. Engine mounted to reduce wiring and junctions, the ECM automatically coordinates the cam phasing, fuel delivery, timing and other operations necessary to the efficient production and use of power. The ECU improves on previous throttle based management systems by using a torque and horsepower control strategy instead of relying on the throttle position sensor alone to govern throttle operation. The strategy calculates optimal throttle, intake plenum plate, and cam phasing positions along with other operational parameters, and translates that data automatically into an ideal throttle position and ultimately, engine ouput, based on the position of the gas pedal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ended up replacing the EBCM with a used model from junk yard. It worked fine than and didn't require anything else.

However I ended up trading the car in for a new model, so I am not sure if it solved the problem long term.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 06 sts and have had the same problem as what you guys are talking about. What is the fix? Is it the ecu on the drivers side that needs replaced?
And what all would the ecu effect.... I have some serious battery draining and lots of codes getting thrown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 cts andi just checked the oil there is no oil on the dipstick but there is oil flowing across the the valve covers someone told me something lke I might ave blocked oilreturns or something like that . does anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
2007 CTS, 1976 Seville (sold)
143 Posts
I have a 2006 cts andi just checked the oil there is no oil on the dipstick but there is oil flowing across the the valve covers someone told me something lke I might ave blocked oilreturns or something like that . does anyone have an idea?
dawg - you might get better responses if you'll make this a new post and use a heading that reflects what your post is about. tagging your question on the tailend of an old post about starting issues might not get the right people looking at it... and possibly having the answer for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts