Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters I’m new here. I’ve looked all over online and I keep getting mixed answers so hopefully someone here has had the same issue and can help me out.
I recently bought a 2006 CTS 3.6 with 130,000 miles (got it for $400)
I was told when I bought it that they took it to a dealership and it has a timing issue. I know timing problems are common but this one is just weird to me.
I have misfire codes on cylinders 2,4and6 and ignition control circuit voltage low on 2,4and6. So just bank 2 is not firing
any time I’ve had a timing issue with other cars I always got a cam sensor or crank sensor code but I’m only getting misfire codes and the car starts and drives it’s just gutless and won’t go over 30mph.
I really don’t want to tear into the timing chains if that’s not the issue because that’s a waste of time and a lot of gaskets. Im hoping someone here has had the same issue. Or has the knowledge to help me out. Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
1,063 Posts
Has the dealer looked to see if the spark plugs have been changed?
The recommended change is at 100K miles. It's almost easy to forget or overlook. I had the misfirings at 102K miles. Changed plugs and it ran for a couple more years before I then had to change the coils.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >136k miles
892 Posts
As @CaptSoloNJ said, it is definitely worth checking the condition of the plugs and ignition modules/coils. I would start with the plugs...if original, damaged, or incorrect model, I would replace them and see what happens. However if they are good, I would do a simple test of the ignition modules; swap the bank 1 modules to bank 2. If the misfires move to bank 1 you found your problem. If not, the problem may be wiring, connectors, sensors, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has the dealer looked to see if the spark plugs have been changed?
The recommended change is at 100K miles. It's almost easy to forget or overlook. I had the misfirings at 102K miles. Changed plugs and it ran for a couple more years before I then had to change the coils.
the plugs and coils on bank 2 are brand new. I checked the gap on each one it’s all fine. I can smell fuel when I crank it with out the plugs in (I was checking for spark on each plug)

if it was the timing chain wouldn’t Iget a code for the cam or crank sensor? Even if the chain was just stretched?
could this be a clogged converter??

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >136k miles
892 Posts
the plugs and coils on bank 2 are brand new. I checked the gap on each one it’s all fine. I can smell fuel when I crank it with out the plugs in (I was checking for spark on each plug)

if it was the timing chain wouldn’t Iget a code for the cam or crank sensor? Even if the chain was just stretched?
What brand/model coils and plugs are on bank 2?

If non-OEM (ACDelco or Bosch) or if you bought "OEM" models from ebay, these knock offs can cause issues.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L V6
57 Posts

Our car had a P0008 code when the timing chain was stretched, but it isn’t always guaranteed that you’ll get one if the problem isn’t bad enough.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
709 Posts
I had a converter clog up. First I got the code for Cat efficiency. I kept driving over months clearing the code. Slowly but surely power decreased over months. The bank with the clogged converter began to show richer and richer. The other bank began to show leaner and leaner. When the power got so low that I could barely climb a hill near my house. I took it home and 'fixed" the cat. Power was immediately returned and LTFT returned to normal immediately. Not fully familiar with the 3.6 but I think you can disconnect the cat and see if you get an immediate change. I could not test this with my 4.6 cause the cat is part of the exhaust manifold. Good Luck

Check the "look" of all the plugs and see if 2,4 and 6 are showing very rich while 1,3, and 5 show normal or lean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts