Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2006 CTS 3.6L is now a second vehicle and I only use it once every few weeks. The battery seems to drain after sitting for a while but I do not see any parasitic electrical drains, but the hot southwest climate I would think takes a toll, and I prefer not to keep a charger on it, would like to just get in and go I usually buy the best battery every 2 years or so that AutoZone or Oreillys offers, but wondering if anyone know of a battery manufacturer that makes a battery that might hold up better, last longer without trickle charging, that would fit n the CTS battery compartment? Also, sometimes it takes turning the key to start several times before the starter kicks in, so wondering if maybe a starter issue developing also, would appreciate anyone's thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
674 Posts
I think you may have a drain issue. I live in NH and head down south for the winter. I park the car the end of December and don't start it until the middle of April. I don't disconnect anything, just park it. It's not uncommon for the weather to get -25*. It always starts right up.

The best battery for me that I have found, is WalMart's best battery, that has a 3 year guarantee. Just bring it in and get a new one, no prorating BS. They return the battery and you buy a new one, restarting the clock for 3 years again.

Works for me

Tom

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
Normal parasitic drain on these cars, after RAP dropout, is about 25 mA. Depending on battery condition that will kill it in 2 - 4 weeks.

Nothing wrong with connecting a small Battery Minder during layup periods. They keep the battery fully charged and desulfated - will NOT boil the electrolyte dry. They also greatly extend battery life.

My STS is now a garage queen and sits there with a 1.2 Amp battery minder connected 24/7 - nary a problem.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Most, if not all, repair shops have battery maintainers for those that are going to be in the shop for over a week. This is for the modern cars, like the CTS, as they tend to have a constant drain of sorts.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 Blue Chip Luxury 3.6L
28 Posts
So I work on a ship for 4 weeks at a time. Always left my car in a parking lot for 4 weeks. I've been doing this for 30 years. Now that I have a CTS, now I can't do that anymore? Most people I work with do the same and have newer vehicles than my 2007 CTS. They don't have an issue?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts