Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2006 CTS with the 3.6 and I need to dis-connect the Battery. Can I dis-connect and re-connect it with no problems? As I know some of the newer cars out there need to be constantly powered.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 CTS
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it looks like I have answered my own question. I just read in my owners manual that after a dis-connect, you need to turn the Key on for at least 3 minutes, then turn it off, then start the car and let it run for at least 30 seconds.

If anyone can add any extra, please reply. This is all new to me, lol.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,856 Posts
As I know some of the newer cars out there need to be constantly powered.
What cars would those be? And how does that work? Do they have a battery that never dies, thus the battery never needs to be disconnected? :confused:

Well, it looks like I have answered my own question. I just read in my owners manual that after a dis-connect, you need to turn the Key on for at least 3 minutes, then turn it off, then start the car and let it run for at least 30 seconds.
Now you've got me curious, I'll have to see if I can find that note in the manual. As greenmachine said, I've never done that procedure and I've had the battery disconnected dozens of times in the years I've owned my '05.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What cars would those be? And how does that work? Do they have a battery that never dies, thus the battery never needs to be disconnected? :confused:
The way I understand it is that some cars out there (someone once mentioned a newer Corvette) needs to be constantly powered. If you take a Battery out, you need to give it an alternative supply to keep it hot. If not it can really mess up the computer. Now, as mentioned, this is all fairly new to me and, of course, I'd rather be on the safe side of it. Therefore the inquiry.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now you've got me curious, I'll have to see if I can find that note in the manual. As greenmachine said, I've never done that procedure and I've had the battery disconnected dozens of times in the years I've owned my '05.
On page number 5-43 in my '06 CTS Owners Manual.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.7L
512 Posts
PAGE 376 "BATTERY"
"After a power loss, such as disconnecting the
battery or removing the maxi fuses in the power
distribution fuse block, the following steps must
be performed to calibrate the electronic throttle
control. If this is not done, the engine will not run
properly.
1. Turn the ignition key to ON. Do not start the
engine.
2. Leave the ignition in ON for at least three
minutes so that the electronic throttle
control will cycle and re-learn its home
position.
3. Turn the ignition to OFF.
4. Start and run the engine for at least
30 seconds."

·
Registered
2006 CTS
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, exactly as my Owners Manual states.

But glad to see the ones who didn't follow this procedure had no problems.

Myself, I'm going to play it safe just to be sure.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >128k miles
448 Posts

If anyone can add any extra, please reply. This is all new to me, lol.
Interesting! IIRC that is the procedure for idle relearn. I have never followed it for battery disconnect but use it after cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts