Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, the passenger side front window quit going up and down. Rest of windows continued to work. As I am an old guy, I assumed that the regulator had failed, like in the old days. I went out and purchased a used window regulator from a wrecked car. I installed this new regulator. This did not solve the problem. So I got out my service manual and reviewing the method of troubleshooting. Since the new regulator did not work, I reinstalled the old regulator. Note, I had checked both regulators and on a simple 12 volt signal, they would both work outside the car. Did not have a code reader so it was the old get out the meter and check for voltages and fuses. I had done this earlier in a superficial check at the rear fuse and circuit breaker and found that they both had power and were not bad. This time I moved my checking to the incoming connections in the front door. No power to the door. Frustrated, I said to myself, well the rest of the windows work so let the wife complain. I also discovered by reading the service manual that if one of the windows malfunctions, it tells the computer to turn off all the rest of the windows. This meant that if the wife tried her window either on purpose, or just by accident, the rest of the windows would not work until I turned off the key and let the system reboot itself. Damn modern stuff. Much better in old days. window failure, replace regulator, go back to driving. Then a few days later the rest of the windows all stopped working and turning the key of to reset not longer worked.
This caused me to finally go back to the forums and soon discovered the problem that others have discovered, that the main power to all windows comes from rear fuse and circuit breaker and divides right behind the front passenger seat under the carpet. This splice is notable for getting wet and failing. Thank the members for this piece of info in this forum which I finally found
Back to work. Checked the power plug going to rear right passenger door. No power here, but fun and circuit breaker still had power both sides. Pulled out the rear seat and removed the front passenger seat, probably not necessary, but mad working on problem easier. Pulled up the carpet and the foam insulator. Found the cable on floor behind front passenger seat. The green color on floor and wiring harness indicate the location of the splice. I removed the tape holding the harness together and found the splice. Three wires in and two out going the driver side of car. When I reached down to the splice, the wires came apart. Cleaned the five wires, installed a large copper connector, insulated the splice and taped the harness back together. Cleaned as much of the green copper crud from floor and made sure the rear carped was dry. Check windows, and all worked. Had to reset travel to get the high speed one press to get working. Thanks to all who pointed this problem out to me. Replaced the carpet, front seat, trim, and rear seat and I now have windows that go up and down. Love my CTS again. I have include pictures of the splice, before, during, and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
Glad to hear it's working again! Pretty much everything on these cars is much different than the old ones. Just wait till you have to do the timing chains...the quad cam setup is totally different than the single cam/chain of 60s Chevy V8s!

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
693 Posts
docsdad, glad you outsmarted your car! Gives you a feeling of accomplishment!

Just wait till you have to do the timing chains...the quad cam setup is totally different than the single cam/chain of 60s Chevy V8s!
As I think I mentioned to you Ryan, the day the timing chains is an issue, is the day I call the JY. But I'll reassess when that day comes.

Tom

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
LOL @silverfox103 the JY is always a consideration when a big repair arises! I certainly considered that when mine rattled, but then I evaluated the time/money already invested in various repairs and checked the cost of a new car. The decision to spend 600 in parts was a no brainer, even though it took me nearly a week to finish. Of course, I have another car, so part time effort toward the repair was not a problem. If this was my only ride it would be long gone.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already had the timing change problem. Replaced them and have another 50,000 miles on this cad. Just have to check the oil daily. it loves to drink the stuff. But I got into a new Chrysler and the ride and comfort of this CTS far out performs in my opinion. But one of these days, it will have to go. It also loves to chew up the rubber drive shaft couplings, motor and transmission mounts and rear end mounts. Plus I read the next few threads about radio and navigation problems. Had similar problems. May be I should look at a Lexus next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts