Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS 3.6L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the car Saturday with 125,000 miles on it. It appeared mechanically sound. This morning I had issues getting to work because it would not go into 1st or 2nd. I get to work and realize it wont go into reverse either. I'm currently getting it looked at for $70 at a transmission shop. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what's going on?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
717 Posts
Common issue with the Tremec T56 Trans, synchro issue likely, try double clutching it see if it goes in or go from 4th to reverse to see if it pops in then.

·
Registered
06 CTS 3.6L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply's! The shop is saying it is a shifter arm and bushings... I don't know the repair cost yet though. CTSUK it would not go into reverse at all, not from fourth or any other gear.

·
Super Moderator 2005 CTS-V
'05 CTS-V
7,793 Posts
The V6 doesn't use a Tremec T56, it uses an Aisin AY6. And my guess was going to be shifter bushings, too.

There's some discussion of shifter stuff in this recent thread, with links to a couple other threads that discussed shifter slop and bushings. If you can figure out which bushings the shop says are bad, and you can get some pics of how the shifter setup is on your car, perhaps we can confirm whether the poly shifter bushings from Revshift or Creative Steel will fit the V6 shifter.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
717 Posts
Knew id probably got the name wrong!, both have similar characteristic fault issues that mean they just dont want to play ball! lol.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
1 Posts
I was just looking at the forum because of a similar problem with my 2008 CTS. It would not shift into reverse. I was taking the transmission out yesterday figuring I was going to have to take the transmission apart to fix an internal problem. After taking the exhaust, drive shaft and rear transmission support down I lowered the back of the transmission to take out the shift control linkage. I found that the shift control rod bushings were in bad shape. One gone the other cracked (you may have lost both). I was looking to see if others had had the same problem and if there was a better bushing material out there. I was amazed to see so many other people with this problem considering how few 6 speed CTS's there are out there. I think the other GM cars that use this transmission had better watch out! If I had known this was the problem from the start I would have considered cutting access holes in the top and or side of the tunnel to change the bushing from the top. I will continue to take the transmission out since I have it this far disassembled and change the clutch (car has 99,000 miles on it). Hope this helps

Alfaman

·
'05 CTS-V
7,793 Posts
0rang3, you may have already gone ahead with ordering parts. If not...

The shop says I need numbers 7, 8, 9 and 12. GMpartsgiant.com has the best prices I have found so far. Anyone ever ordered from them? Is there a better option?
So did they say you needed an entire new shifter assembly (#7), or just the bushings in the red circles below?

If it's just the bushings, then I think the polyurethane Creative Steel bushings marketed for the CTS-V folks will probably work. It might be worth getting in touch with Max @ Creative Steel to see if he'll work a deal for you - if you can confirm that the they fit the CTS in addition to the CTS-V, that would open up a little bit more market for him.

For #8, I'm assuming they meant the bushings at the ends of the arms (where the blue circles are), not the actual little clip that the #8 line points to? On the V, folks have found that you can replace the very soft rubber bushings with plastic bushings you can get from Home Depot or Lowes for a couple bucks. It takes a little bit of "fabrication", and I can't swear that the Aisin bushings are the same, but it might be worth looking into.

Finally, for #9, I think this thread might be worth your time - that guy fixed a problem with slop in that #9 joint.

·
'05 CTS-V
7,793 Posts

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
369 Posts
Sorry to repeat the thread. Same fix twice. If you read through all the posts I commented on the energy suspension poly bushings just didn't hold up well. Turned smushy, for lack of a better word, after a year or so. I turned new ones on a lathe out of delrin rod and never had another problem. The measurements are spot on though.

·
'05 CTS-V
7,793 Posts
Hey guys first ever post... Im having the same problem in my 08 confirmed its the bushing but the pin is seized.. any way to get it out with out dropping the trans
Wrong forum for an '08, but it's the same transmission, so we might as well leave the post here.

When you say "the pin", are you talking about #8 in the diagram that 0rang3 posted in post #7? Have you rotated the locking clip up so that the clip will come out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the problem with #12 wont budge i remove the clip and tgats as fas i have got sprayed penatrating fluid up still wont move

1 - 20 of 21 Posts