Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 and I recently changed my timing chain on my car but now I have a clicking noise by the passenger side of the engine the sound is on top by the camshaft I was wondering if any of you guys have had this issue? Thanks in advance for your comments

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Re: 2006 Cadillac Cts 3.6 Timing Chain replacement

Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 and I recently changed my timing chain on my car but now I have a clicking noise by the passenger side of the engine the sound is on top by the camshaft I was wondering if any of you guys have had this issue? Thanks in advance for your comments
Purge solenoid. Five minute job.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L
108 Posts

does the purge solenoid actually go bad? what does it do?

I sometimes notice that clicking too.

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts

does the purge solenoid actually go bad? what does it do?

I sometimes notice that clicking too.
It typically makes a very audible clicking noise. This is normal per it's operation. However when it's time to be replaced, you'll know because your car wont start after you fill it up with gas unless you put the key in the ignition and power cycle the fuel pump a few times by turning the key on and off. After that it may start up with a bit of hesitation at first. You may also have to open the gas cap to start it. When your car does that it's time to replace it. The solenoid costs like 50 bucks and takes literally 5 minutes to swap out.

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
It can't be the solenoid the noise is internal
There are a lot of noises that can sound internal and in reality aren't. The reason why I believe it to be the evap solenoid is because it's in the area you mentioned. However you could of botched the timing chain job, one of the valve springs could be bad. If you really feel like it's the timing chains or something is wrong with the passenger side camshaft record a video of the noise and post it on here so we can properly diagnose the sound. We can only do so much with you verbally describing the sound.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Put a stethoscope/long screwdriver/broomstick on the valve cover, put your ear to It & see If the noise
Is internal.
Then put It on the solenoid. The difference should be very obvious.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran the car for about 2 hrs then changed the oil and filter and started the car and let it run for about 20-30 mins. and the rattling noise by the chains stopped but the tapping noise still their but it doesn't sound internal and i believe on that noise you are correct I believe it is the solenoid
the noise is the tapping/clicking noise at the end of the video

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
I would know that sound anywhere, it's the solenoid. Touch it, you'll feel it ticking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts