Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS (sold), 2013 ATS Premium 3.6
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS with approx. 85k miles on it. Every now and then, while using the auto start feature like I always do (turn key and let go), the car will crank for about 3 seconds and then stop. I believe it stops cranking on purpose due to some timer. After it fails to start, I try again immediately and the car will start with a longer crank time than normal (1.5 seconds versus .5 second), but starts perfectly fine.

It occurs randomly as far as I know around every 1 in 20-50 starts. I just replaced the CKP/CTS (Crankshaft position sensor) today to see if that fixes the problem. I have had no engine codes except a misfire while in park after a high spirited drive (already bought an extra ignition coil just in case as I had one go bad at 75k miles)

I have a video of the second try starting after it initially fails to start as I cannot actually film every time I start my car, but only the attempt after it fails.

If it's not the CKP, what else could it be?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

The car did the no start again this morning but then turning the key one more time it cranked for 1-1.5 seconds and then started fine. It wasn't the CKP as its been replaced so it must be something else.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the lock symbol stay on after the start procedure?

Have you done the relearn procedure with a tech-2 for the sensor?
Nothing stays on after the car is started besides the buckle seatbelt light. I have not done a relearn procedure as I didn't know one was needed for the CKP. The car still does start and does this 2-5% of the time so does it need reprogramming? I have a local shop I use who has a tech 2 and can do this if necessary.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what exactly do I need to tell them about the sensor? if the new sensor is doing the same thing as before then it can't be the problem right?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Bulletbling said:
what exactly do I need to tell them about the sensor? if the new sensor is doing the same thing as before then it can't be the problem right?

I would ask if the relearn has been done if not then it needs it
Correct I would suspect something else if it still does it after the relearn

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told by my reputable ASE shop that if the same symptoms occur after its replaced, a relearn isn't going to help because there would be different symptoms or less/more severe symptoms. The CKP can cause stalling while driving or stumbling and I've never had that occur nor an engine code from it so I don't think this problem has to do with the sensor. I just filed it as preventative maintenance in my logbook.

Other ideas?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump.

I disconnected my battery overnight and touched the terminals together to drain out the residual energy stored. My car now starts quicker rather than the starter sounding like it's old. Not sure if my issue is fixed or if it was a learned software issue.

·
Registered
03 CTS (Dead), 06 3.6 CTS(Sold), 07 CTS-V
1,503 Posts
Hey I sometimes have this issue as well on my 06...very rarely though..I feel it could be weak battery or a battery with not enough cranking amps, or the starter slowly going out...other than that im lost too...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At least someone else has this issue. If you could, post a video of your car regularly starting with the door open. That would help compare the starter's time it takes to get the engine running to mine. Also, if you could get a video of what the car looks and sounds like right after it fails to start like I have posted on page 1.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a video of the car doing this:

https://goo.gl/photos/gNK4vx1nNCwrhAwC6

This was one minute after the car was driven aggressively and shut down. I believe I am able to repeat this no start by driving aggressively (lots of gas) and then trying to start it back up after its turned off. I was able to do this yesterday too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It may not have to do with driving aggressively, but after the car is driven a distance and shut down, it is more likely to not start if you try to restart it right after being shut down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My local repair shop said it may just being picky with the autostart function because everything has to be right for it to start via computer. I will take it in if it becomes more common and I can trigger it. Fuel pressure tested out to be okay (I think they said 51 or somewhere around there).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any other ideas? It's back in the shop and no one seems to know the problem. I need somewhere to point the shop in case they run out of tests.

·
Registered
03 CTS (Dead), 06 3.6 CTS(Sold), 07 CTS-V
1,503 Posts
Hey man sorry I never saw your post. I can try to get a video of it, but its so intermittent that gettin a video of it doing it might take a while and I'll probably forget to video by the time it does hah.

My alternator just locked up sunday and it actually did the no stsrt when I went to go pull it into the garage...turned key off, then fired right up second try.

148k miles. Sometimes if the ac is on at startup the car will fall flat on its face right after stsrting then it will be fine after too. Not sure if that gives you any ideas or not,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm confused. Are you in the wrong thread? I already posted a video of what mine is doing. Have you compared it to your CTS?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts