Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac SRX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how many quarts of transmission fluid my 2006 Cadillac SRX takes and around how much should I pay to have it replaced?

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
If you're going to have a flush, my recommendation, expect to pay $120-180; this replaces all the fluid. Most dealers do it, as do many quick lubes. Just make sure they use a name brand synthetic fluid. If you're getting a pan drop and filter replacement, 6-7 qts., ? on cost, likely $80+ and a lot less effective. If you do the latter, make sure they fill the transmission with the motor running.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
GM's official recommendation is that only the cooler should be "flushed". Flushed in that context meaning a pressurized device. Most "flushes" performed at dealers and other service centers are in fact fluid exchanges. They use the transmissions pump to pump out the fluid while simultaneously filling with fresh fluid. The problem with this is that the pump overpumps and a pressure regulator bypasses the excess flow. This is just normal operation. But the effect is that while you are exchanging the fluid the new fluid is always mixing with what is in the transmission sump. So you are not taking out one quart of dirty and putting in one quart of clean. You are taking out a mix of new and old fluid and putting in new fluid. So, by this method it would take a lot of new fluid to get mostly new fluid in the transmission. The service centers doing this service aren't using 2-3 times the system capacity which is what would be required to get mostly new fluid. They are using either system capacity or usually a nice round number like 10qts. I know I worked at those places. And you would have the same old filter and gasket you always had.

The better solution is what GM actually recommends. Which is drop the pan, replace the filter, replace the gasket as needed (the OE gasket is remarkably inexpensive) and to refill with the correct fluid, not just any name brand fluid. This will probably result in a similar concentration of new fluid as a "flush" service and you will have a new filter. The factory fill for your car was Dexron III. The Dexron III spec has been discontinued and licenses are no longer supported. GM now recommends Dexron VI and if you have no existing transmission issues I would recommend the transistion to Dexron VI. It will mix with Dexron III without adverse effects.

It should take 6-7 quarts, the price kind of varies by geography. RepairPal.com lists $229-$302 as the average in my area before tax for a fluid and filter change. Check to see what they say for your area. I thought they were a little high for my area on this particular service. But, my shop usually falls in their range.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
Do a filter service, don't have it flushed (or exchanged). It's a better service in my opinion. The transmission holds 10 qts. and a pan service changes 6-7 of it and you get a new filter and the pan cleaned. I'd say use a dealer so you get a GM filter instead of some aftermarket junk and the right Dex VI fluid instead of one-size-fits-all. Should be $200-$300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts