Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 cadillac cts
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago when i got home from work i could smell something burning under the hood. I popped the hood and a bunch of white smoke came out. The car hasn't run since. I replaced the spark plugs, alternator, starter. Something drained the battery so i got a new one. Once everything replaced it still wont start and something is still draining the battery quick. Check engine light is on as well. I checked both fuse boxes and everything seems to be fine. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
not enough information here to make a good guess. Usually electrical shorts have a distinct smell and a good nose can bring you to the location. I wouldn't start with the pcm this is a random guess, though possible. Identify the location where the smoke was then start from there. I would also remove the fusebox and check the wiring below. It sounds like a wire grounded itself and in so doing shorted something out. No way to tell. Also explain the fo9llowing.

"The car hasn't run since " Since the engine isn't running then it is normal for the check engine light to be off. It only turns off after the engine is running and the self diagnostic is complete. Is the engine running or not. If not will it turn over ie does the starter have power. If not at what point is there a short, ignition ? fusebox ? which circuit. You need to be systematic in your diagnosis. If the problem is wiring related replacing components will not fix the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts