Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS with washers and levelers. I have been searching for aftermarket headlights for over a month and have not been able to find anything with the
specifications that I need for my particular model. Every single aftermarket headlight is only for models w/o washers. I am not even sure if aftermarket headlights are
made for my vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Re: 2006 Cadillac CTS--CANT FIND AFTERMARKET HEADLIGHTS

I think Eagle Eyes might have them. But take my advice....aftermarket headlamp assemblies are garbage.
I have a set and they're a mistake. If you ever need a replacement piece for them, you won't be able to get that replacement part as all the aftermarket models are made in China and they don't provide spare parts.

Get the OEM Sylvania Valeo headlight assemblies and be done with it.

OR, if your problem is just that your headlamps have become cloudy, that's easy to fix. But not with the common headlight restoration kit, which is only a very temporary fix.

The proper, LONG LASTING way to recondition the headlamps is to sand them with 400 grit until they are completely cleaned of all dirty remnants, and the plastic is pristine white, then clearcoat the headlamps with automotive 2K urethane. When the clearcoat hits the sanded surface, boom, instant water clarity, and this clarity will last as long as the clearcoat lasts, which can easily be 10 years or more with regular waxing.

----------

THIS is how headlight restoration is done! Sand to 400, clearcoat, enjoy. No other steps needed other than occasional waxing.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6
32 Posts
If you're going with the headlight restoration route have a professional do it (cost ranges from $45-80 depending on your area and body shop). Every automotive clear has shrinkage. Sanding with 400 grit is okay to remove all the yellowish haze from the headlamps but way to rough to apply clear as you may see sand scratches. Make sure you finish off with 600 800 or 1000 grit and apply an adhesion promoter before the clear.

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Do you see the pictures above? That's sanded to 400 grit and then clearcoated immediately. This gives "you can't rip it off with 100 MPH tape" adhesion.

I've done this several times and I've got years on the oldest sets I've done this way.

My way works. Going to finer sanded surfaces will reduce adhesion even if you do use an adhesion promoter.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Great work
I recently tried a restore kit that had the same sandpaper in it and it does work(didn't do the clear coat though but will next time)

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey,

Thanks for all of the responses. I used the restoration kit, but my headlights still have a few noticeable scratches. I really just want to find some aftermarket lamps, but the only ones I can find are the OEM models for quite a bit of money. Does anyone know of any sites, retailers, or anything else I can try. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that was actually one of the first places that I checked. They have a great selection of aftermarket headlamps, but none that will fit a 2006 CTS with washers and auto levelers. I have been searching for about a month and have pretty much given up hope.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the 3M restoration headlight kit this past weekend. It worked really well except I wasnt able to get the corners because the device attaches to a drill. Do you have any suggestions? I was doing some research online and the Sylvania headlight restoration got some pretty good reviews.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 2013 ATS 2.0T
245 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts