Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would chime in here with my 1000 mile report for my 06 CTS. I absolutely dig this car, but it is not perfect. I can accept a car not being perfect if it fits my other needs after all, if one car was perfect we wouldn’t be able to buy more right?

So here are my impressions after the first 1000 miles – pretty equal mix city/highway.

:thumbsup: Styling – no complaints, this is why I bought the car.

:thumbsup: Performance – great, more than I expected from a 3.6L. The 6-speed is fine for me, I do not have any major complaints about length of throws, nor do I feel it is clunky. Please bear in mind the last 6-speed I drove was the ZF-6 in a Corvette with a hydraulic clutch – it was work.

This engine/tranny combo has awesome pull gears 2-5 and I love that I can hammer it in 4th gear and still push back in the seat. Not sure what the gearing is in 6th but I think it could be a little less, I would like to have a cruising gear (again, Corvette was 0.75:1 in 6th (if I remember right) so I could idle down the I-state at 75-80).

:( I would also like a Reverse lockout, not so much for me but my wife keeps trying to put it in reverse versus first gear. Maybe just relocate Reverse to the other side end of the tranny so it is left of 5/6 gears.

:mad::( Interior – okay. This is where I have my most complaints. The interior is average compared to other cars in the CTS class. I have driven many of the competitor brands and find their interiors a little more comfortable and roomy. The one road trip (180 miles) I took revealed how uncomfortable the seats could become (no lumbar) and my back was a bit achy as a result.

:( I would like more storage space in the cabin. There is very little and I am not sure if that is a product of the 6spd or if that is the way all CTS’s come. I don’t need to store a whole lot but the door pockets are inconvenient to reach with the door closed and there is zero console storage.

I am not a tall guy (5’11”) but it seems that my hair is always hitting the headliner. The worst case of this is when I take a look back before I change lanes. My seat is as low as it will go, so I would like some more headroom.

I would like a power passenger seat to be a standard option. I realize the CTS is considered entry-level for Cadillac but there are some things that should be standard, especially when you are in a Cadillac.

I have the sport model with the 17” wheels and associated goodies, but not the luxury or navigation package, it would have been nice on the non-nav models to at least include a compass in the mirror or somewhere – how hard would that be?

I have 1000 miles on the car and no major complaints – just the minor gripes above. My gas mileage is fair, averaging about 24 or so, but I drive it hard so I don’t expect miracles. I waited years for this model to come out (wanted bigger v6 and mt) and I am glad I waited. I really enjoy the car and it gets plenty of looks – the black is stunning when it is clean. I have yet to visit the dealer for service on this car so no reports on the dealer treatment as yet.

Thanks for listening…. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good report. A few comments:

Regarding console storage, I find this to be a strong point. You have storage inside the armrest and below it in the console itself. The glove box though is a joke.

Also, it's unfortunate that you don't have the Luxury Package as this gives you the power passenger seat and compass in the mirror among other luxuries (leather, wood trim, etc...).

I don't have the Sport Package but wish I did. The standard suspension is mostly fine but understeers more than I'd like. It also provides a nice ride.

Thanks again for your report. Best, Mike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm not bothered by the lack of a real console. I always wondered if that bothered 3-series owners... I find theres enough room for some CD's, my Glasses case, a digital camera, a bunch of papers and chequbooks <<< all in the bottom part. In the top is business cards, palm pilot, phone charger, pens, sticky pad, insurance, etc... I agree that shifting is troublesom when you have a drink in the cupholders though, and I find with some bottles, when you go to pull it out, the whole liner pulls out!?!? Not sure why you dont have a mirror compass.... I do! And I don't have the Nav or Lux. Pack.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
your report sounds the same as mine, however, 35 more of those reports down the road.....I was torn between getting the 6MT and waitng for the V when I purchased in 11/03, telling myself that just in case my wife wants to drive it, I better just get the auto - she has driven my car ONCE!!! Anyway, thanks for the report. It's great to hear what others go thru with their CTS experience....

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pjohnesq said:
your report sounds the same as mine, however, 35 more of those reports down the road.....I was torn between getting the 6MT and waitng for the V when I purchased in 11/03, telling myself that just in case my wife wants to drive it, I better just get the auto - she has driven my car ONCE!!! Anyway, thanks for the report. It's great to hear what others go thru with their CTS experience....
My wife prefers driving the Silverado but she grew up in Texas driving manual trannys so she is at home with the 6spd. Her first comment driving the CTS was "man, that is peppy!", but she prefers sitting up high in the truck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i agree with the compass thing. it was interesting calling onstar to see what direction im heading. 30k+ car and no compass? she says

·
Registered
87 Posts
2006 1200 Mile Report...

I agree with FSU_Noles in that the CTS is "not perfect" but I sure do like it!

:thumbsup: Styling - I really like its looks. The CTS-R cars were what first caught my eye and I toyed with getting an '05 CTS-V but my daily commute would be a bear with a manual tranny.

:thumbsup: Performance - I have no complaints in this department. This is a sweet, smooth V6. I got the 17" wheel sports package and like the slightly firmer suspension as well. I have been really pleased with the 5 speed auto. The "sport" side really is nice and I've used the manumatic feature a few times and really enjoyed that.

:confused: Interior - True, it can be cramped but as I had been commuting in my C5 convertible, this is spacious for me. We bought my wife the STS for the roomier inerior, that is the main family car. As for "fit and finish," It's not up there with Lexus or MB but it's okay, just nothing to rave about.

I agree with FSU-Noles, however, in that I would've liked more storage space. The glove box is a joke, it holds my owner's manual, registration and insurance card...and nothing else. The covered portion of the center console is even shallower than my C5...and that is problematic as it leaves me no place to put my Glock.

:confused: Headroom - What do you tall guys do? I'm also 5-11 and with a ballcap on I'm out of headroom. I have the 10-way seats so I have mine at its lowest point with some rake.

:thumbsup: Overall - I'm happy. I got the Bose, luxury and sport packages so it is equipped pretty much as I like it. I skipped the nav system as this car is my daily driver and the STS has nav for trips. We've taken one 250 mile road trip and I found it comfortable enough, not as much as the STS but still a good road car. My wife drove it on one leg of the trip and she enjoyed the handling (it does handle considerably tighter than the STS).

I'm enjoying the forum...it has been informative and entertaining. I've installed the V-grill, exhaust tips and my new wheels and tires arrived yesterday. I'm having fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
doorknob