Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 XLR will intermittently stall while driving.
Motor will sometimes start right back up, and run normal.
Other times motor will just crank over with a normal sound. No indication its trying to fire up.
A few minutes later motor will start and perform normal. No Check engine light , or any other messages or trouble lights. No codes in any module ???????

· Registered
7 Posts
2005 XLR will intermittently stall while driving.
Motor will sometimes start right back up, and run normal.
Other times motor will just crank over with a normal sound. No indication its trying to fire up.
A few minutes later motor will start and perform normal. No Check engine light , or any other messages or trouble lights. No codes in any module ???????
I'll be watching this as I have the same problem.
When I first bought the car about a month ago it would just shut off randomly. Sometimes start right up, sometimes not.
The gentleman that first responded to you helped me a lot.
I actually had a poor connection at the battery. Has run great for weeks, but every once in a while it just shuts off.
I'm thinking fuel pump issue, but may have to die completely to know for sure?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Electrical and charging system has been checked. Also fuel pump replaced..
Almost has symptoms of a data line drop. But none of the messages and warning lights that normally go along with that issue. Motor does crank over normally when problem presents.

· Registered
2008 XLR
32 Posts
04 and 05 have a problem with the fuel pump moule. It will cause your symptoms. its under the drivers rear 1/4 panel. Problem is they go for 300-500 used. If the engine is turning over you have connections. It could be spark but unlikely or fuel, most likely. A fuel pressure gauge will tell you if its fuel. New pumps wont help if the control module is bad.

· Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
3,100 Posts
The Fuel Pump Speed Control Module (FPSCM) is located on the left/rear inner wheel well housing, forward of the tire. The fuel pump is located in the left side fuel tank. Fuel sender assemblies are located in each tank and have venturis (jet pumps) to equalize levels between tanks. (Very similar fuel delivery system as the C-6 Covette.) These are often listed as Fuel Pumps making parts ordering somewhat confusing unless you have a schematic of the entire system. The resistive senders get flaky over time and are easily cleaned using Techron-infused gasoline peridically during fill-ups.

A Tech 2 or similar scan tool will quickly show the status of the FPSCM, simplifying system troubleshooting. It also displays fuel rail pressure as seen by the ECM.

The main reason more problems are reported with the 04-05 models is because 2/3 of the XLRs were built during it's first two years. Appreciable drivetrain improvements were not undertaken because the N* engine used was the best/last version. '06 introduced the V model, but it was still a N* engine.

CC

· Registered
2008 XLR
32 Posts
06-09 got ride of the problem with the suspension module. Brought better shocks, got ride of the problems with the abs braking and yaw control module. Has a better fuel control module that rarely fails unlike the 04-05. Has a much better transmission and improved the engine control module for better fuel control and smoother acceleration. the reason you hear more problems with the 04/05 is there are more of them and a huge % have problems. 06-09 is a much better car

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,949 Posts
XLR with Northstar production, courtesy of Northstar Performance -

2004 - 4387
2005 - 4190
2006 - 2989
2007 - 1095
2008 - 1150
2009 - 653

XLR-V

2006 - 1147