Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 V
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the site. I have a question. I have a 2005 Cts-V that had been making a clicking noise from the rear end under load and it sounded dead on like a failing CV joint. So I ripped out the prop (drive) shaft and found that the CV joint that couples to the rear end had excess play in it. I took the joint apart and found that it fried a ball and wore a nice groove where that ball rests due to a failed seal and loss of grease. Anyway, that CV joint has failed. I was able to pull the whole assembly off of the shaft w/o issue.

The question: Has anyone successfully found and replaced that CV joint or am I stuck to buying a whole new shaft? Thanks

·
Registered
2005 V
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2005 V Drive shaft issues

Hello, new to the site and I have a short story and a question. My 2005 V began making a clicking noise from the rear end when under load. So I ripped the drive shaft out and found excessive play in the CV joint that couples the driveshaft to the rear end. I remove the CV joint from the shaft and found that a seal failed and spit all the grease out. CV joint is ruined.

Question: Has anyone actually found a replacement CV joint only or do I have to replace the entire drive shaft? Because so far, that joint is very hard to find. Pics below. Thanks!

20150304_192842(1).jpg 20150304_192911(1).jpg

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,299 Posts
Re: 2005 V Drive shaft issues

I've seen mention on another forum that possibly one could scavenge a CV from a Touareg (VW SUV) driveshaft. Not much information available as to where that suggestion came from or why, but if it works it would certainly be a nice option! The driveshafts seem to go pretty cheaply on Ebay.

·
Registered
05 CTS
38 Posts
Not sure if the CTS-V's are different, but the regular CTS has no CV joints on the driveshaft/propshaft. Are you referring to the rubber flex discs? If so those can be replaced.

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
377 Posts
Should post in the v forum this is the v6 stuff. The moderator has a v maybe he can move this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts