Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
326 Posts
@Tonyd45,

Don't sweat it man, ignore the losers around here. And there are a number of them. There are some really solid people, like Sub and Ranger. And then there's the other subset, a bunch of arrogant, cranky old men who deal with self-esteem issues by belittling other people. And it often happens on this topic: Northstar exhaust. Same happened to me. Just ignore the bitter granddads, and take the other respectful advice, whether for your idea or against.

In my own experience, I would recommend you take a look at Vortex mufflers from CB. I wanted to get some MagnaFlows, but couldn't justify the cost, or the install costs beyond that. I did some homework and went with the Vortexes, and it was a terrific choice. Straight piping sounded sweet at idle (after I took off the stock mufflers), but it does drone badly anywhere between about 800 and 3,000 rpms. Not good. The Vortex mufflers don't drone at all...it's a nice, smooth, throaty V8 sound. I'd say moderate in sound. It burbles beautifully at idle, is quiet at cruising, and really bellows at WOT.

This is for my 2005 Deville, so the setup and piping diameter is different than your STS. But on the point of straight piping, I'd recommend going with the Vortex mufflers instead. Hope it works out! You won't regret it.

Reactions: Too Fast

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 DI
14 Posts
Hello everybody, I have a question about my exhaust i was thinking about cutting the mufflers off and straight piping it. I have a 2005 sts its a v8 and has the duel exhaust what is the diameter of the exhaust? I know theres going to be a bend i am capable of welding it myself but i want to know if any of you guys have done this and if you did it yourself. Im not sure if i should trust the pipes at autozone or some other place like that? I want to ask if you did do it and where did you get the piping or even a website that i can put in the exact measurements and then theyll ship it to me.
Hello everybody, I have a question about my exhaust i was thinking about cutting the mufflers off and straight piping it. I have a 2005 sts its a v8 and has the duel exhaust what is the diameter of the exhaust? I know theres going to be a bend i am capable of welding it myself but i want to know if any of you guys have done this and if you did it yourself. Im not sure if i should trust the pipes at autozone or some other place like that? I want to ask if you did do it and where did you get the piping or even a website that i can put in the exact measurements and then theyll ship it to me.
I have a 2008 CTS 3.6 . I cut the pipes aft of the cats and it sounded great. However there was a high pitch sound at highway speed so I installed Cheery Bombs and now the sound is much more mellow. Not to mention cheap.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,476 Posts
I will say that straight piping off cats will entirely depend on the cats. I had a 92 Bronco with a 302. Those had factory dual cats into single exhaust. Very easy to straight pipe into true duals. Even with the pipes coming out in front of the rear tires, it was still actually quiet.

HERE'S an STS with muffler delete

ANOTHER ONE

They actually sound pretty damn sweet!

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,335 Posts
@Tonyd45,

Don't sweat it man, ignore the losers around here. And there are a number of them. There are some really solid people, like Sub and Ranger. And then there's the other subset, a bunch of arrogant, cranky old men who deal with self-esteem issues by belittling other people.
hmmm, since I'm not Sub or Ranger, I guess I'm one of the arrogant, cranky old men. Didn't realize I had self-esteem issues. My apology to all. OTOH, I don't feel the need to be manly simply by making my car louder.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,073 Posts
You have to laugh at these young guys that feel they have to supplement their mating call with a horn driven by an internal combustion engine. Back and forth, up and down the main drag. Such it was when I was young and such it will be forever.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,998 Posts
I used to run my flathead 1950 ford without the air cleaner because it sounded bad ass at WOT until I ruined the engine. LOL

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,476 Posts
Well, I'm not sure about young guys, or making anyone more manly, but I'm 58 and loud exhaust is just as awesome as loud music! One of my best friends has a Stage 3 Roush Mustang that sounds better than any muscle car we grew up with (and he also owns a 69 Mach 1). Driving is supposed to be a sensory experience and sound is part of that. Just like the Gs you pull under hard acceleration and corning. I take the 90 degree right hand turn onto my street in the STS without slowing from the 35mph speed limit because it FEELS good. I turn off TC/SC as soon as I get in the car every time so I can squeal the tires at stoplights and do little power slides. Cars are fun! Loud exhaust makes them funner!

·
Premium Member
29,073 Posts
My dad used to tell about having a straight pipe on his Model T with a spark plug at the end so he could turn the ignition on and off and shoot fire 10 feet out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
269 Posts
Well, I'm not sure about young guys, or making anyone more manly, but I'm 58 and loud exhaust is just as awesome as loud music! One of my best friends has a Stage 3 Roush Mustang that sounds better than any muscle car we grew up with (and he also owns a 69 Mach 1). Driving is supposed to be a sensory experience and sound is part of that. Just like the Gs you pull under hard acceleration and corning. I take the 90 degree right hand turn onto my street in the STS without slowing from the 35mph speed limit because it FEELS good. I turn off TC/SC as soon as I get in the car every time so I can squeal the tires at stoplights and do little power slides. Cars are fun! Loud exhaust makes them funner!
Yep. I am 57, I've had RWD V8 cars all my life, and I will until I die. If I can get one to rumble, then hell yeah. Not obnoxiosly loud like straight pipe Harleys, but some rumble for damn sure. I will be doing burnouts until they take my car away from me! Always safely tho. Look at my avatar, that was down in Louisiana, on a deserted area, 18 months ago.

The Mustangs always sound great! So do the new Mopars. Anything with V8s, the 4 and 6 cylinder cars almost always sound dumb.

·
Premium Member
29,073 Posts
After I turned 80 I cleaned up my act a little and I was amazed at how the noise level dropped as my wife quit yelling at me quite so much.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
326 Posts
hmmm, since I'm not Sub or Ranger, I guess I'm one of the arrogant, cranky old men. Didn't realize I had self-esteem issues. My apology to all. OTOH, I don't feel the need to be manly simply by making my car louder.
Nope, stop assuming and reading something into what I said that doesn't exist. I'm not going to list every single user of the tens of thousands here who give good, helpful, constructive advice. That's why I said "LIKE Sub and Ranger."

And for what it's worth, I never changed out my exhaust to "be manly," I simply personally enjoy V8 exhaust tones and throttle blips. You really do love making baseless assumptions.

·
Premium Member
29,073 Posts
Some things never change with time. More young guys working on their mating call.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts