Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
07 DTS , 08 DTS, 09 Escalade, 02 STS (sold)
42 Posts
Don't cut your cadillac exhaust unless you plan to replace all the tubing and with a performance exhaust ( borla or corsa as mentioned) that sounds better and improves performance,

otherwise you are turning your Cadillac's exhaust into an annoying, farting coffee can, that your neighbors will despise,
vroom vroom
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
268 Posts
Tony, I agree with you. I work at Firestone, a DTS(!) came in with straight pipes. Sounds like it belongs on the track with NASCAR. It even had the stock quad tips, just a straight pipe where the mufflers were. When I was looking for an STS, my first mod was gonna be deleting those quiet mufflers. The car I found, someone put Gibson mufflers on it, sounds perfect to me. Nice V8 rumble, not too loud and no droaning. IDK what diameter the pipe is, but I say cut it off and measure. Or, you can put a tape measure (or a string, then measure that) around the diameter, do the math. It would be divided by pi, correct?

·
Registered
2005 STS4 4.6L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah i understand i wasnt in the market to buy one i was asking to see if it was a good one. And is the "Manual" shifts good on this car im asking cause i never use the "manual" on any car, scared to break something.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah i understand i wasnt in the market to buy one i was asking to see if it was a good one. And is the "Manual" shifts good on this car im asking cause i never use the "manual" on any car, scared to break something.
Yes the manual is fine. The engineers made it that way, it is OE, so yeah use it when you want. Puts the transmission in a whole new mode, very fun. I tried to attach a short video clip of my car leaving the shop, so you could hear that Northstar roar, but the file wasn't supported.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T coupe
30 Posts
Hello everybody, I have a question about my exhaust i was thinking about cutting the mufflers off and straight piping it. I have a 2005 sts its a v8 and has the duel exhaust what is the diameter of the exhaust? I know theres going to be a bend i am capable of welding it myself but i want to know if any of you guys have done this and if you did it yourself. Im not sure if i should trust the pipes at autozone or some other place like that? I want to ask if you did do it and where did you get the piping or even a website that i can put in the exact measurements and then theyll ship it to me.
It will be loud in the vehicle. I had a 60 chevy back in the day that I drag raced. I had cutouts that dumped out under the car. The sound was awesome but really loud. I couldn't imagine driving down the highway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everybody, I have a question about my exhaust i was thinking about cutting the mufflers off and straight piping it. I have a 2005 sts its a v8 and has the duel exhaust what is the diameter of the exhaust? I know theres going to be a bend i am capable of welding it myself but i want to know if any of you guys have done this and if you did it yourself. Im not sure if i should trust the pipes at autozone or some other place like that? I want to ask if you did do it and where did you get the piping or even a website that i can put in the exact measurements and then theyll ship it to me.
You don't say what is the intent. Replace a worn system or just getting rid of it completely? Regardless straight pipe will kill your car: sound terrible, bothersome sound inside and plain ugly coming out the back. Besides depending where you live it would be illegal! The pipes you could get at any auto parts is just as good as Fred's Muffler shop in your town/city.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,072 Posts
I had an old '50 Ford pickup with a flathead V8 and a straight pipe. It wasn't noise ticket loud, in fact ,it sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV 2WD 6.2
22 Posts
What about the performance exhaust corsa or others like that. Keyword PERFORMANCE. And alot of people have done this havent they. And dkozloski i think your the only person to insult someone on this site. U must be 14 were not on YT or Twitter im just asking the car is quieter than my moms sonata hahaha. But i guess thats what i should expect from a bunch of angry old men that are driving the same car as a 19 year old. Childish really this site is a joke.

I dont think out of my close to 10 post anyone hasnt helped me at all. I was alway out there problem solving my self. I had a parasititic draw and you guys were saying i had to pull all 300 fuzes out but it was the radio like i thought. I fixed a 4.2 amp draw by myself. And that goes for every issue like my ABS bleeding you guys were telling me to get a tech 2 and i got a scanner for 220 and it worked. I dont know how much experience you guys have but maybe you should go do something else cause this isnt your calling.
Well you clearly don't have much experience if you are even thinking about putting a straight pipe on your car. Besides the annoying sound and smell, you will manage to reduce performance.

A catback system is not the same as cutting off the exhaust and putting on a straight pipe. It also costs a lot more.

Yes, the straight pipe question was just asking for an inquiry if you were 14.

·
Registered
2012 SRX 3.6 AWD
17 Posts
My SRX is too quiet. The 3.6's don't sound like a fart cannon. It has a big thing that looks like a fuel tank before the exh tips. It will probably sound like something, if i remove it. I have hit the rev limiter 3 times by accident. I'm used to driving 60' muscle cars as dailys. I also left idling for 45 min once.

A Northstar is a LS familily engine, thats why they sound so good.

·
Registered
2012 SRX 3.6 AWD
17 Posts
A Northstar not an LS motor It's a DOHC V8. LS motors are pushrod dinosaurs.
Yup, you're right, but those as you call them "dinosaur engines" have a bunch of Le Mans wins under belts against much more sophisticated engines.. A C7 most with an LT 4 "dinosaur" engine will still destroy a brand-new Mustang GT 500 with a track pack. I don't know much about Northstar's I'm new to Cadillac's I thought I had read somewhere that Northstar was an LT family.

And as far as efficiency goes my stock LS 1 in my C5 got 32 miles to the gallon on a on a 1400 mile trip and I was not driving slow. After a Hydro lock on that engine I built LS1 block with LS 6, 243 heads intake and injectors that I had to use a pretty conservative cam in, since I live in California. That put out 400 WHP and torque and and I still got 29 miles a gallon on the same trip and once again I was not driving slow either. Less moving parts less things to break.

·
Premium Member
29,072 Posts
C8R has a DOHC V8 with a flat plane crank.

·
Registered
07 DTS , 08 DTS, 09 Escalade, 02 STS (sold)
42 Posts
This is a pointless post. It is obvious the originator doesn’t care to consider anyone’s advice. I agree with a number of responses, and To think of it starting to wonder perhaps we are all being duped by a 14 yo that might be on dad’s computer Going for shop talk

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V6 AWD
36 Posts
Tony, you aren't helping yourself. Given your chip-on-the-shoulder attitude, it's not likely the more knowledgeable members here will answer your questions. If (as you said) this site is a joke, there's a quick fix--hit the log out button. Alternatively, you can keep on your current path, and I'll hit your log out button for you.
Yeah man, there's no reason to be calling this site or anyone a joke. Everything about it is meant to benefit or share with others like yourself. You can't be all that surprised that no one here in the Cadillac forum, older models at that, has put straight pipes on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well you clearly don't have much experience if you are even thinking about putting a straight pipe on your car. Besides the annoying sound and smell, you will manage to reduce performance.

A catback system is not the same as cutting off the exhaust and putting on a straight pipe. It also costs a lot more.

Yes, the straight pipe question was just asking for an inquiry if you were 14.
There will be no performance loss or annoying smell if all he does is put straight pipes in place of his mufflers. Where did you get that false information?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had an old '50 Ford pickup with a flathead V8 and a straight pipe. It wasn't noise ticket loud, in fact ,it sounded pretty good.
Because it made 1/3 the HP of the Northstar, lol. Just kidding, but somewhat realistic. I drove home from a dragstrip open headers exactly one time, I'll never do that again. My ears were ringing longer than any Motorhead concert I went to. It was in my '67 400 4 speed Firebird I had, it would run mid 13s at 105.

It would be loud to eliminate the mufflers and put straight pipes on it, but the converters would dampen the sound somewhat. Something I don't understand is how the Harley Davidson riders run straight pipes all the time, obnoxiously loud, and don't get noise pollution tickets like I would if I ran my Trans Am or Le Mans open headers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will just say that the "WTF? Are you 14 years old or what?" was not necessary... I will also say that a lot of people on the Chrysler 300 forums straight pipe their cars with good results. Some people like the sound, some don't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why not run Magna Flow mufflers? I heard them on a Caddy a few weeks ago and they sound sweet. By the way I'm 71 years old. I wouldnt mind having Magna Flows on my 1997 Eldorado. It ain't broken so why fix it. If I want some sounds, I jump on my Harley with the Vance and Hines exhaust system. Now that's a sweet sound!

·
Premium Member
29,072 Posts
I put Magna Flows on my 87 Mazda RX7 Turbo and they almost made it undriveable. The drone was so bad you couldn't hold a conversation or listen to the radio.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts