Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS4 4.6L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I have a question about my exhaust i was thinking about cutting the mufflers off and straight piping it. I have a 2005 sts its a v8 and has the duel exhaust what is the diameter of the exhaust? I know theres going to be a bend i am capable of welding it myself but i want to know if any of you guys have done this and if you did it yourself. Im not sure if i should trust the pipes at autozone or some other place like that? I want to ask if you did do it and where did you get the piping or even a website that i can put in the exact measurements and then theyll ship it to me.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,325 Posts
The only thing you'll get from this is a deadly drone at highway speeds and lousy sound. No "performance" or economy changes.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 4.6L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the performance exhaust corsa or others like that. Keyword PERFORMANCE. And alot of people have done this havent they. And dkozloski i think your the only person to insult someone on this site. U must be 14 were not on YT or Twitter im just asking the car is quieter than my moms sonata hahaha. But i guess thats what i should expect from a bunch of angry old men that are driving the same car as a 19 year old. Childish really this site is a joke.

I dont think out of my close to 10 post anyone hasnt helped me at all. I was alway out there problem solving my self. I had a parasititic draw and you guys were saying i had to pull all 300 fuzes out but it was the radio like i thought. I fixed a 4.2 amp draw by myself. And that goes for every issue like my ABS bleeding you guys were telling me to get a tech 2 and i got a scanner for 220 and it worked. I dont know how much experience you guys have but maybe you should go do something else cause this isnt your calling.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,056 Posts
We're not expert maintenance techs. We're just owners like yourself trying to pass on experiences. At least we're not looking to turn our cars into jalopies.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,261 Posts
What about the performance exhaust corsa or others like that. Keyword PERFORMANCE. And alot of people have done this havent they. And dkozloski i think your the only person to insult someone on this site. U must be 14 were not on YT or Twitter im just asking the car is quieter than my moms sonata hahaha. But i guess thats what i should expect from a bunch of angry old men that are driving the same car as a 19 year old. Childish really this site is a joke.

I dont think out of my close to 10 post anyone hasnt helped me at all. I was alway out there problem solving my self. I had a parasititic draw and you guys were saying i had to pull all 300 fuzes out but it was the radio like i thought. I fixed a 4.2 amp draw by myself. And that goes for every issue like my ABS bleeding you guys were telling me to get a tech 2 and i got a scanner for 220 and it worked. I dont know how much experience you guys have but maybe you should go do something else cause this isnt your calling.
Tony, you aren't helping yourself. Given your chip-on-the-shoulder attitude, it's not likely the more knowledgeable members here will answer your questions. If (as you said) this site is a joke, there's a quick fix--hit the log out button. Alternatively, you can keep on your current path, and I'll hit your log out button for you.

·
Premium Member
29,056 Posts
Putting straight pipes on a Cadillac is like using a clothespin to run a playing card against the spokes on your $5000 mountain bike. You're saying to yourself, "Man, I'm cool". Bystanders are saying to themselves,"What a f**king idiot.".

·
Premium Member
29,056 Posts
I need to apologize. Like most older guys that have done ALL the things themselves that young people do. You hate too see others repeat your own questionable behavior. My own messages are directed toward my own mistakes and transgressions.On another note; on this forum you have no idea who you are talking to. It may be just some common slob with a common interest, or it may be the guy that designed the North* engine and holds international FAI records, or builds race winning NASCAR engines, Maybe they spent a long career on nuclear submarines. Maybe assembled, tested and repaired SAM missiles. Remember that there is no person alive that can't teach you something.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 4.6L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was saying that for what i thought to be a professional forums with people with experience. But i was shocked for someone to throw an insult on this website. And why didnt you say it was a bad idea. Theres people with 70s mustangs and i bet when you hear the straight pipes and the exhaust your not thinking that its sounds like shit you would probably say damn now thats a badass car.

·
Premium Member
29,056 Posts
This is what a real Bad-Ass car sounds like.

·
Premium Member
29,056 Posts
Built in the 1950s, 1500cc, and over 700HP.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,261 Posts
I was saying that for what i thought to be a professional forums with people with experience. But i was shocked for someone to throw an insult on this website. And why didnt you say it was a bad idea. Theres people with 70s mustangs and i bet when you hear the straight pipes and the exhaust your not thinking that its sounds like shit you would probably say damn now thats a badass car.
get over it and move on. You can choose to be a productive member here or not. This isn't junior high where you get a "participation" medal. These forums are populated by gear heads who shoot straight so grow a thicker skin. The mods and many of the members have no reason to be here except to help others and they are all volunteers. Case in point, Submariner409, who served the Navy on a nuclear submarine. Then piloted ships up and down the eastern seaboard; then rebuilt Olds 455 marine engines. So, stay and be productive, ask detailed questions, get help and maybe at some point YOU can be a help to others. Sound fair?

·
Registered
2005 STS4 4.6L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did ask a detailed question and i didnt get much of a response im still waiting for the diameter of my exhaust

·
Registered
2005 STS4 4.6L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahem, Hello everybody i was wondering the diameter of my exhaust. I was thinking about straight piping it so it dosent sound like a 4 banger. I bought a v8 and i want it to sound like one. If anyone has done modifications to they're exhaust and it turned out well please get back to me. Also is there any aftermarket mufflers or cats that will do ive been welding for 5 years and welding isnt a issue.

·
Premium Member
29,056 Posts
You might want to get underneath your car and measure the exhaust. While you at it you might observe that it's all stainless so you'll be MIG or TIG welding it. The CATs are part of the exhaust manifolds and there are no after market exhaust headers available. They'll be a custom build.

·
Registered
Something German S550, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
529 Posts
Just go to a muffler shop tell them to delete the mufflers. $40, they'll cut off the mufflers and weld the pipes in place. And grow some skin if you can weld etc, should be able to measure.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,325 Posts
The entire exhaust is jigged up, roll-bent, and welded stainless steel. That process really alters the pipe diameters, even in the bends. It's a stretch to guess what the true diameter is at any point in the piping, so what they're saying is it's a hands-on cut-and-fit either in your driveway or at a good exhaust shop.

Straight piping will accomplish nothing but drone you out of the car at most engine speeds. Ask a GOOD muffler/exhaust shop for advice - they do this sort of thing every day while most "STS" owners don't.

Here's the rear end of the original system off my Seville TS - you can see how the pipes are distorted by the roll bending process - mandrel bending retains the true pipe shape/diameter as shown by the second (CORSA) pic of my car.

BTW - I've been driving, racing, modifying, building, painting, and engine modifying cars, boats, motorcycles, and aircraft since 1954. Been there, done that. Yes, retired Navy, 30 years - diesel, fast attack, missile submarines. Qualified air and rare gas diver. Atlantic Submarine Force rifle and pistol teams. Marine Firefighting and Damage Control graduate, Texas A&M Engineering Extension School. Qualified free-fall parachutist. (All that and $1.50 will buy you a draft at Happy Hour on Fridays)

3.OEM exhaust top-replaced at 35450 mi..jpg
4. Stamped Y.jpg

CORSA 13.jpg

·
Premium Member
29,056 Posts
He could get some flex tube and clamps from J.C. Whitney.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,473 Posts
Tony, I feel your pain! The STS is almost silent except for a little intake noise when you really get on it. My 08 Escalade single exhaust sounds like a muscle car and if you manually shift, you can even get it to pop on overrun and compression braking. Corsa still lists the exhaust for the STS, I'd check with them. Yes, it's expensive, but so is everything else on these cars. I'm hoping to get one before next summer, but I'll have to quit buying guns if it's going to happen 😁

1 - 20 of 51 Posts