Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2005 STS V8 Nav LCD display dead, Headlights not coming on

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  aegishjalmur 
#1 ·
So my 2005 sts seems to be acting a little loopy on the electrical side...

issues are as followed

1. Passenger door won’t open when unlocked I have to manually open it from inside..

2. When I’m driving at night my high beams switch on and off sporadically on there own

3. Navigation screen went black, the radio is stuck on the last channel and volume i had it on before it went out

4. passenger head light goes is out, but is perfectly fine when I step out the car and press unlock with the key fob when the car is turned off. Brights work fine tho

Anybody have any idea if it could be fuse related. The car had been in a front end accident so ain’t no telling what issues I’d inherited. The car rides nice and no other issues I must be electrical related.

Only light on is a airbag sensor

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Likely one of the switches or connections in the door, I know a search would turn up at least a few threads with answers.
2. The brights are automatic, if you hit the switch on the rearview it should stop doing it altogether unless manually operated on/off.
3. This isn't unheard of, although I personally do not know of a solution beyond replacing the head unit. Does the volume change by using steering wheel buttons?
4. You'll have to clarify as the grammar is throwing me off a bit, please elaborate.

#6 ·
1. Passenger door won’t open when unlocked I have to manually open it from inside.

COVERED ALREADY

2. When I’m driving at night my high beams switch on and off sporadically on there own.

COVERED ALREADY. MAKE SURE INTELLIBEAM IS DEACTIVATED (IF EQUIPPED). THIS SHOULD NOT BE ENABLED ALL THE TIME THOUGH. YOU HAVE TO ACTIVATE IT VIA THE REARVIEW MIRROR DURING EACH RUN CYCLE. COULD BE THE MULTI FUNCTION SWITCH (COLUMN STALK) FAILING ALSO.

3. Navigation screen went black, the radio is stuck on the last channel and volume i had it on before it went out

TRY DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY AND TOUCHING POS/NEG TOGETHER TO RESET THE CAR. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK IT'S LIKELY THE UNIT IS DEAD IF THE SCREEN WON'T COME ON AND THE VOLUME KNOB DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

4. passenger head light goes is out, but is perfectly fine when I step out the car and press unlock with the key fob when the car is turned off. Brights work fine tho.

THE HEADLIGHTS THAT COME ON WHEN YOU UNLOCK THE CAR ARE THE HIGH BEAMS, THE LOW BEAMS ARE ABOVE IT. TURN THEM ON IN PARK AND SEE IF THEY COME ON (TWIST THE STALK TO TURN OFF AUTO HEADLIGHTS).

Reactions: aegishjalmur
#10 ·
Almost anyone who comments on here should be able to add something, some people know more than others but overall these forums are a good resource.
The Northstar (V8) is a pretty solid engine, as long as you keep up on oil changes it should serve you well.
You'll probably run into various gaskets needing replacement, in my experience that has been the valve covers, intake manifold, rear main seal, VVT solenoid housing gaskets.
My rear main seal is weeping a bit and it will probably continue to for a long long time until I've decided I've had it with the small amount that it leaks.
Most typical gasket replacements are easy, in my opinion.
The engine mounts WILL go sooner or later (probably sooner) considering their construction and elements they are exposed to.
Rear differential bushing (front-upper) is prone to wearing out and causing a undesirable sounds.
Certain parts in the suspension may cause popping or squeaking (bushings in the front lower control arms, sway bar bushings)
I could keep going but these are the most common, in my opinion.
I would change all the fluids (coolant, differentials, transmission) and plugs by 100k if not sooner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.