Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS V6 3.6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I desperately need a wiring guide on my 2005 STS radio. I need to know colors for the wires used for the sat radio. I am trying to hard wire an aux input for my MP3 player but just can't find anything to guide me as to which wires to cut. Help!

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
There is no line level input to the radio for XM. It's a digital interface from the module in the trunk. Perhaps a member with the shop manual can provide the connector pin-out diagram to prove it to you.

I assume you don't want to use an FM modulator. I don't blame you but they do work. I'm not sure if anyone makes an add-in module for the base radio. I'd check Pacific Accessories Corporation.

I use their uPAC-STS with my Nav/radio. It pirates the digital XM interface and allows rudementary control through the tuning knob and displays on the Nav screen. Ludacrisvp has the newer module.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2005 STS V6 3.6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. The more I research the more it looks like ill have to use a modulator. Any cons to installing an aftermarket stereo? I figure that route would loose some of the cars programmable functionality. Is it severe? Or is this a good option?

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
I'm not sure where where the digital audio output information came from in the past, but this is incorrect. The SDAR (S-Band Digital Audio Receiver) converts the signal to an analog audio signal internally and this is what is sent to the radio.

On the back of the radio, you will have 16 cavity BLACK connector. Pin 1 (Light Green w/White stripe) is LEFT audio signal, Pin 2 (Light Blue w/White stripe) is RIGHT audio signal, Pin 9 (Gray w/Black stripe) is audio common and Pin 10 is a bare wire used for the drain (or shield).

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
So DD, ZenBear could use pins 1 (L), 2 (R) & 9 (Common) for audio-in on the XM setting?

I was sure a digital add-in module was required to tap XM.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
Should be able to. On the STS, this audio input is shared between the SDAR and TV module (for export vehicles so equipped). I think in this application, as long as the input is properly coupled with the output of whatever is being connected, and the signal level is correct, there shouldn't be a problem. In the scenario ZenBear is proposing, the XM will be disabled. As far as the radio is concerned, it will not have any control over the device being attached. It will continue to scroll XM channels up and down as selected because it won't know it isn't controlling the SDAR, but what plays will be whatever audio is coming out of the attached device. Some of the interfaces (if I'm not mistaken) will allow the radio to control the attached device. This is a cheap and dirty way to attach only the audio signal.

·
Registered
2005 STS V6 3.6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is all great info guys. I will take it into consideration. I am also proposing to install an after market touchscreen stereo in ace of the stock one with the options I am looking for. My main concern is will this limit the cars memory controlled accessories? Is there an aftermarket 'brain' I can get to keep the cars full functionality?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Members have been known to mount the OEM radio in the trunk. I think it's only needed to change settings.

·
Registered
2005 STS V6
80 Posts
Members have been known to mount the OEM radio in the trunk. I think it's only needed to change settings.
I saw within the forum where this was being done to older 90's Cadillacs. Will mounting the oem radio in the trunk allow for an aftermarket radio to keep all oem functionality?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Yep! Some just swap it back or connect it in to change settings (they are stored in a body module but changed through the radio).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts