Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing a new to me STS but the factory navigation is not working. nothing is working. no lights nothing. its like no power is going to it. I don't want to get involved in a money pit if this is this case. I don't mind throwing in an aftermarket DVD/CD player in it but don't want to lose any features run by the factory player if there are any. I am not sure. Is this something that can be fixed or something that someone has experienced before? Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
This problem can run the gamut from pennies for a fuse to thousands for a new head unit. All personalisations go through the head unit so if you go aftermarket you'll lose this capability without taking some pretty extreme steps. Unless the seller wants to fix it I'd walk away from it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
These cars have so many features, especially on the higher end of the STS line and there are so many things that can be wrong with these cars that could be easily missed to an unknowing person.

If the price is really good, and I mean really good, and you are in love with the car (these cars are seductive little sirens) I would take it to a trusted mechanic and have it checked.

Often times the radio just needs a reset by disconnecting the battery and touching the cables together for a few seconds then re-connecting. This process may take 2 or 3 tries. I know this from personal experience.

And yes, these cars can be a money pit but most of us here love them that much where we are willing to spend the time and money for these fine automobiles.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The problem is that once you fall in love with a car it's like falling in love with a wild woman. From that point on it doesn't matter what anybody tells you as your money and self respect evaporate.
That's what I'm talkin' about! Then when you're pennyless, you have to get rid of 'em and they head on down the road!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to lose out on any features but this car is beautiful! I fell in love. The price is great for the v8 model but electronics going bad scare me and I can't live without music in my car.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't want to lose out on any features but this car is beautiful! I fell in love. The price is great for the v8 model but electronics going bad scare me and I can't live without music in my car.
Then take my advice and take it to a mechanic and have him try to reset the head unit and to give the car a good looking over, or take it home on an extended test drive and do it yourself. Also find out the RPO's inside the spare tire cover. There are all kinds of ways to find out what equipment it has here on the forum. If the radio does reset, I wouldn't tell the dealer If I were you. It may give you some extra leverage, and as we all know, a little leverage against a dealer is not a bad thing.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
This forum is a great resource, but some members' humor is guaranteed to offend. Be careful with part numbers for the Nav, and there're not mysterious compared with some options. If it's a V8 and nothing else is wrong, it won't be long until the right PN pops-up on eBay and any GM dealer can match it to your VIN.

I would have it checked-over by a third-party. No seller can object to that. I consider it worth paying for a thorough report in lieu of a warranty. Regardless of asking price, it's a negotiating point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What features would I lose if I just swapped out the factory head unit with an after market? Navigation isn't a big deal to me. I can get a nice dvd head unit for $300 that has Bluetooth and will look nice just in case it's it's not something that I can fix by resetting it or checking the fuses but if I'm losing out on other features that or controlled by the factory head unit I'm not going to take the chance. I know on my wife's new dodge the ac controls and everything are controlled through the touch screen radio

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
You'll lose magnetic ride control config if equipped, memory settings for the seats, config for the door locks, remote start config, personalization features, chime settings, etc.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
You don't actually lose the greeting, remote start & config settings, just the ability to change options.

If you don't add aftermarket add-in's, you'll also lose little conveniences like turn signal clicks, door chimes and the like.

Have you tried the reset procedure?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am about to get under the hood of it and try a few and see if I can fix it before I open my wallet. I will let you know soon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm the proud owner of a gorgeous STS.... Now let's cross our fingers I can figure this DVD navigation player out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't have a manual so I'm going to start digging for fuses! If not I found the entire head unit at copart up the street on one that was rearended for $300 so I guess it's not a huge risk. I would post pics but I keep getting an error!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I pulled open the fuse box and got excited the radio fuse was missing!!! I put that and a few other fuses in started her up and nothing.... So I touched undid the battery touched the cables together waited a few hooked it back up.... Nothing. Any other suggestions? Did I just buy a car with a bad navigation system? If so its still beautiful but if you all can help fix it I'd be thrilled

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not but when I replaced my cam cover gasket on the right side it was necessary to remove the battery. I'm not a very fast mechanic and the job took me a couple of days, so the battery was disconnected most of that time. When I reconnected the battery my radio had reset to the point that I had to re-pair my bluetooth phone and I think the computers had to go through a re-learning curve for a few days.

Other times when I disconnected the battery for battery replacement 2 times and once to replace the starter, the radio failed to start the first time in every instance.

After multiple attempts of touching the cables together I was able to get it going again.

Every time I'd disconnect it I noticed that there was a loose grounding nut on my fender that I would screw around with. It had an SAE nut on it and I couldn't tighten it tight. When I tried to tighten it the threads would slip. During the last disconnect I changed it to a metric nut and was able to tighten it all the way.

Double check your fuses for continuity, maybe you put in a bad one. Try a 24 hour disconnect then try a few resets again. If that doesn't work, Co-Part will be your friend! The units are really easy to swap out. Gently pry off the bezel at 6 points being careful not to bend the bezel too much, if you do you can cause hair-ine cracks (don't ask me how I know), then remove 4 nuts, slide it out and unplug the cables!

That's all I've got.

Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be trying that later today. When I put the radio/onstar fuse in my mirror lit up but still a dark navigation screen and no power to the CD player. After more digging the previous owner must have had a big stereo in it because it has speaker wire in it but all disconnected. I wonder if that could have something to do with it. Any other ideas I appreciate them all very much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok tried all of that and still nothing, no backlights or anything. Any other suggestions? I'm trying everything before buying a new unit!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts