Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS4 4.6L V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago got in my Car and it had The Brake light on the dash. Also a few other warning messages, Service Brake Assist, Check Brake Fluid Level, and Service Stability system. The issue showed up over night, the only effect I have seen on driving is a lag in throttle Response on the low end. I checked the brake fluid and topped it off but it was not missing much and all warning lights and messages are still present. I stopped driving the car because i dont want to do any damage before i figure out what is going on. Any ideas what might cause these messages to trigger in an 05 4.6L V8 STS4?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
Your car has a built-in trouble code/scanner system. Have it scanned at any parts store, then use this link to decipher and post any found codes.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS4 4.6L V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Took the Car to Autozone their scanner would not pull any codes. Bought my own scanner and pulled a list.

I had a trusted shop recently replace a motor mount. Usually try to do the work on my own but had to use the shop for that one. The Mechanic told me they had to take apart the steering for that job. Long story short seems like a steering sensor went out and caused some issues. Ill see when I get the car back if that was the full issue. Figured id put this up in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,014 Posts
The most likely scenario is that a clumsy mechanic pinched cut or disconnected wiring while fooling with the steering..

·
Registered
2014 ELR
198 Posts
--Begin Rant--
FYI for all of you out there.
When the red brake light is on in your car. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR!!
Check the parking brake. If it is on, turn it off.
Check the fluid level. If it is low, add fluid.
If both are OK and the red brake light is still on DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR!!
The vehicle is telling you in no uncertain terms that it CANNOT GUARANTEE YOUR BRAKES WILL WORK!!
Don't drive around the block. Don't say "its only a few miles" Don't say "I'll look at it when I get home" Don't think "its no big deal"
It very much could be a very big deal.
--End Rant--

1 - 5 of 5 Posts