Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sister's Cadillac engine is toast. Some how, some way she blew it due to lack of oil. I don't understand how you run your engine dry but alas.... Anyway, Replacement engine purchased.

Question is, anyone done simple engine swap before? Method for pulling? replacing? Guides? Details? Pics? Gotchas'?

Been searching around the net and haven't been able to come up with much usable information. First GM vehicle I've messed with, I will shyly admit to being a Ford guy.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
110 Posts
First, the 3.6 in the year you are talking about does have some issues with oil consumption. I'm not sure about the STS, but my CTS doesn't have a low oil warning. I have removed and rebuilt my 2.8 2006 CTS motor. The engine is basically the same externally as the 3.6. It was easier for me to drop the engine out the bottom with the sub-frame than try to hoist it out of the top. You might want to check on the Seville/STS side of the forum. They might have other ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed the swap. It was extremely easy. Pulled it from the top. Her oil pan does have an oil level sensor, the new one did not. so i swapped the pans. Other than that the swap was very simple.

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
967 Posts
So if the new oil pan has an oil level sensor and the old one doesn't where in the wiring harness does it plug in?
Are you using your original harness or a different one?

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods
1,148 Posts
So if the new oil pan has an oil level sensor and the old one doesn't where in the wiring harness does it plug in?
Are you using your original harness or a different one?
You got the wrong end of the stick. Original engine had the oil level sensor. By swapping pans, the new engine has the sensor.

Bill

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
967 Posts
You got the wrong end of the stick. Original engine had the oil level sensor. By swapping pans, the new engine has the sensor.

Bill
Woops so I read it backwards :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
First, the 3.6 in the year you are talking about does have some issues with oil consumption. I'm not sure about the STS, but my CTS doesn't have a low oil warning. I have removed and rebuilt my 2.8 2006 CTS motor. The engine is basically the same externally as the 3.6. It was easier for me to drop the engine out the bottom with the sub-frame than try to hoist it out of the top. You might want to check on the Seville/STS side of the forum. They might have other ideas.
i have a 2005 sts 3.6 v6 i put a srx engine in and want to know how to swap engine oil pan without taking motor apart

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 2005 sts 3.6 v6 i put a srx engine in and want to know how to swap engine oil pan without taking motor apart . please help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts