Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 SRX that the timing chain guide failed on driver side. Car was running but had a miss - just wanted to see if any one else thought bent valves. I bought a head but have heard can not replace without putting inserts in the block for head bolts

·
Registered
STS 2005 3.6L LE, SRX 2009 4.6L Northstar AWD
12 Posts
I'm nearly finished replacing both Cylinder heads, timing set, transfer case chain, steering gear, water pump and all gaskets I came across with during the overhaul. The N* can have a few degrees shift of the timing chain, but as I discovered, the chain tensioner of the primary chain was worn to the metal. The car had ran 147500kms (91,650miles). The only failure I had which led to this mayor overhaul was because I had 1-2 burnt intake valves on cyl #1, 99% sure the cause was because I drove the car on LPG. Be careful with the timing chain set if you order a new one. the LB chain tensioner failed after approx 10 mi, extending the workshop time for another 5 days to get things back on track. I discovered that the new tensioners (made in Taiwan) felt much weaker than the original ones (made in USA). There wasn't any trace of wear nor damage after this mileage. I decided to use the old ones back again for the LB and the RB. And the issue with the treads for the LH2, The bolts are M11x2.0, TTY. If you have ran the car with GM coolant or better, no risk for any damage, the tread is coarser. Obviously, if you replace them by studs, it's much better, but it comes at an additional cost....don't forget to clean the tread holes thoroughly before mounting the new ones. I used an old bolt grinding a deep groove under an angle longitudinally on 2 sides to create a tap.

·
Registered
STS 2005 3.6L LE, SRX 2009 4.6L Northstar AWD
12 Posts
the timing set used was the CLOYES 94186SX. I'm not so convinced about the OEM quality of the hydraulic tensioners, I've seen better ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts