Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac srx
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a fix for the front bulbs continuously burning out. I read someone had tried leds to no avail. Have done this no less than 4 times per side in last several years..also replacing the connector and bulbs but they keep failing. GM of course says there is no recall.

·
Registered
06 v6 SRX
491 Posts
Just did mine - Pulled the front bumper off because I needed to replace a side marker lamp and a small lamp in the head light . So I replaced 2- ( yellow ) drive/ turn lamps and 4- side marker and head lamps . 2hr. labor and 7 push pins later - hope they last a few years because I don't know how many more times the tiny Torx screws will come out .

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
957 Posts
I've been successful on my 03 Envoy using dielectric grease on the socket contacts. So far the 07 SRX hasn't needed any bulb replacements but when it does, I'll apply a dab of grease to the socket.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac srx
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes my screws are def wearing, too bad GM won't own up to the problem, it will be the last GM I buy. That grease I'm familiar with, it doesn't conduct current but is an insulator so as long as it is not on the wires themselves it may help to cool the plastic connector somehow. I was hoping that led's could be used since they urn cooler or maybe someone tried the really old style bulbs eliminating the connector altogether....well have both frt. gone yet again so out with the wrenches.Thanks for the replies...it should be a simple fix but seems not to be so.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
One of the biggest issues with bulbs is moisture. If you see any moisture in any of the lamp housings, it is time to do something about it. Over time any sealed lamp unit will start leaking and they are not easily repaired. The best approach is to drill two tiny holes in the bottom of the unit to allow for ventilation and drainage. This works very well and will save many bulbs. The holes should be drilled carefully to make sure you don't hit a bulb or reflector inside and it is a good idea to drill at an angle so that moisture cannot splash in.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac srx
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I'll try that although there has been no moisture seen the last few times but maybe it will release some heat

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
You won't buy another GM because your bulbs keep blowing? Wow. Petty much?

You need to replace the sockets for the bulbs. Not the connector to the sockets. You also need to use good quality bulbs like Sylvania. The problem is that they get hot because they're on whenever the car is on and sometimes the bulb will melt at the base and get crap all over the socket, which will increase resistance thus increasing the heat even more. I don't know if there's an aftermarket version available but only buy the GM socket and do put a little ddiaelectric grease in them to keep moisture out. I've not had a single SRX have this problem again after replacing the sockets.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac srx
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So worked on this problem, taking a previous person tried led lights to no avail, I focused on more a fix for the cost of repair and a fast repair if the lights blow again. Understand I have had to do the long repair on both front signal lights several times. What I did was realize the only fast way to replace the bulbs was to go through the front like in the old days when things were much simpler. I drilled a hole with a round 2 inch saw thru both lenses. This allowed me to pull the bulb and put a new bulb in within minutes. I then bought a set of round tinted driving lights, modified them and re covered the holes using marine goop. The round lenses not only looks great, they almost matche the look of the headlights. I can now change both bulbs in under 15 minutes max. and no more 3 hours labor or $300. to GM. What I did note doing this since I entered the bulb casing from the front that it is heat that causes these bulbs to burn. The casing they are housed in is either too small or the bulb is to close to the top. What I noticed is they have manufactured a hole at the top to release heat. I also noticed when I cleaned the casing after drilling so as not to leave any plastic that there was some odd melted pieses in the filings. When I inspected further the actual reflector in front of the air escape at the top designed to release heat I suspect, was melted on both light reflectors. Now this would be a GM problem and especially if a fire actually starts, but I would think anytime plastic is melting n a car part with all manufacturers parts that it is a safety concern. I did take pictures of everything I did and of the melting area. At this point all looks good and works fine and would take me no time to replace accessing it from the front. The overheating I will watch closely but that reflectors melted plastic actually drips right on the bulb, so it is getting really hot in there. On previous replacements completed the long route I used new gm lights and sockets to no avail, and they say there is no problem....Chris

----------

should have read...The overheating I will watch closely, but the fact that overheated reflectors melting plastic,which actually drips right on the bulb, shows it is getting really hot in there.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac srx
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Access now from front with bulb accessible. Make sure you vacuum out lens after drilling so as not to leave plastic pieces that could melt. Pics clearly show bulbs are melting housing which in my opinion could start a fire and clearly a potential safety hazard. In time I might send this to the proper Government departments to address this item since GM is clearly denying responsibility and pictures show a problem with bulbs melting the reflective housing. I'd be curios if anyone else tries this and what they see in their housing. The fix is now approx ten minutes per side and if I do any further change I'll post. It has now a good fix since the date I started this thread...Chris

----------

Btw, imo this has nothing to do with moisture, sockets or bulbs...or sockets melting...each and every time...now 4, I inspected and replaced all and found nothing wrong the sockets or any moisture....until I went thru the front and saw the melting plastic pieces, some on the bulb and in the bottom of the reflector...take a good look at the melted areas, both sides were the same, clearly the cause is an over heating in and on the reflector. Now I left the lenses intact to see if the glass fronts now dissipate enough heat, if not I will make Gm's hole at the top larger. So far so good.

----------

Btw you can see the melted area is directly above the bulb...use you imagination what happens when the melted piece falls and what it hits first.... the hot bulb

----------

there are 2 pages to my pics....makes sure you see them all

1 - 20 of 35 Posts