Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago i bought my wife a 2005 cts 3.6 and from the third day of having the car the rear end started to make noise so i took it to the dealer and they changed the fluid and told me to drive the car for 5000 miles and the noise will go away. well it 5015 miles and the noise it getting worst. now i do know that the cts-v's have this problem because i have a 2004 that the fuild was change too but the noise on the v stayed the same not worst unlike the 05 cts.now my question has any body with a cts 3.6 has had this problem with the rear and if so what did the dealer do...thanks :rant2:

·
Registered
07 STS-V Black Raven
160 Posts
I returned my 05 with the same complaint and the dealer replaced the whole rearend as a unit. They had the car for almost a week and a half becuase they ordered a rearend for a cts-v by mistake and had to re-order. Good luck.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Here's a CTS that went thru 3 rear ends!!:bonkers:

07-07-05, 04:34 PM #2
wait4me6920
vbmenu_register("postmenu_376019", true);
MarvB
Posts per day: 0.12

Re: Any CTS Rear-End Problems?...........
Yes - do a search... There are several threads dealing with differential failures with all year models. I have an '03 and am on third rear-end at 20,000 miles. The second one lasted about 3 miles before it seized at about 45mph in heavy traffic :wtf:

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Mine is exactly the same way since about 100 miles, it now had 6,500 miles and is in the dealer since this Weds for repair. I waited for 2 months to get the Cadi rep to approve the replacement (he was on vacation and was a no show since June). What he wants them to do is take it apart and see what’s going on, then order any new parts to make it right. Also they showed me a service letter that said it must be broken in per a strict regime, no driving at any one speed for longer that 10 minutes for the 1st 500 miles which is ridiculous.. Since I live 100 miles from the dealer, I think they want to make sure it is broken in before I get it back. They said they will deliver it back to me, I won't have to come get it. They gave me a Enterprise rental car ('05 LaCrosse) and told me it will be about a week, which is no problem with me.

I could take the whine but mine was making terrible noise at around 20-30 mph that you would think was terminal and they also thought so.

btw
Everyone praises all the great German engineering but these Getrag rear ends in the CTS are nothing but problems since day 1. They told me that have a customer with a SRX with the same complaint as mine is and they are going to do thiers next.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I guess I just don't "get it" here guys.........rear end failures, transmission failures, electrical failures, non-start issues, total break downs, in dangerous traffic conditions. Maybe it's just me but I think Cadillac had better quit running Led Zepplin commercials and tighten up on product quality control here. Am I wrong?...........

JET

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
J.E.T. said:
I guess I just don't "get it" here guys.........rear end failures, transmission failures, electrical failures, non-start issues, total break downs, in dangerous traffic conditions. Maybe it's just me but I think Cadillac had better quit running Led Zepplin commercials and tighten up on product quality control here. Am I wrong?...........
JET
I think so. You don't hear from the contented owners. Most of them haven't a clue this Forum exists. I think this Forum is like a magnet for disgruntled owners to vent. It's a place to be heard. But it's not a place to bring change.
I doubt any Cadillac Execs read our dribble..although it would be a good idea.
Look at the massive recalls by Ford..a lot of bad press about exposed gas tanks and rollover SUVs etc. I don't think Cadillac isn't any where near the top of the poor quality list.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
RobertCTS said:
I think so. You don't hear from the contented owners. Most of them haven't a clue this Forum exists. I think this Forum is like a magnet for disgruntled owners to vent. It's a place to be heard. But it's not a place to bring change.
Look at the massive recalls by Ford..a lot of bad press about exposed gas tanks and rollover SUVs etc. I don't think Cadillac isn't any where near the top of the poor quality list.
I agree. People don't post because there is nothing wrong with their Caddy. People post up to show off or complain about their cars. It's like the news: if you thought the world was only what was reported on the news, you would think nothing good ever happened. The truth is, most of the time things are fine and normal but what's the fun in hearing about normal?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry Robert, I totally disagree with your assumption. My thinking is this, the majority of Caddy owners are old blue tips who drive their cars about ten thousand miles, maybe, and then trade for another. Most don't even know what the internet is all about. If they have a problem it gives them a chance to go sit in the dealership waiting room and drink the free coffee and eat donuts. It's a joke brother.........

JET

·
Registered
543 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Alot of people including myself do not limit their discontent with the CTS to just this forum.

I was selected by both Consumer Reports and JD Powers to review my CTS.

The results were not good...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
You guys need to trade in for a Honda. Excellent reputation. And us Cadillac Guys can move on with our lives. Sarcasm and criticism suck! You need to move on. We're Cadillac enthusiasts here. Enough moaning already. Take it to some where else please!!!:helpless: :nono:

·
Registered
316 Posts
RobertCTS said:
You guys need to trade in for a Honda. Excellent reputation. And us Cadillac Guys can move on with our lives. Sarcasm and criticism suck! You need to move on. We're Cadillac enthusiasts here. Enough moaning already. Take it to some where else please!!!:helpless: :nono:
You're doing it again Robert. This is a Cadillac forum for all people interested in the Cadillac Brand. That includes discussion of the good points AND the bad. I understand that you have not had any trouble with yours, but your experience is not the only one that counts.

You need to stop taking any negative comments people have about their Cadillac ownership experience, like it was a personal attack on you.

·
Registered
2005 & 2008 CTS
1,362 Posts
Go visit another forum and see if that particular car has problems. Better yet check out a bunch of other forums. I bet you'll find problems with just about any car manufacturer. You make it seem like Caddy screwed you over. Shit happens. Thousands of cars/trucks are built a day by car companies. There are bound to be some that are just bad cars.Yes some of these diffs are bad, not all but more than what they should be. It's a design flaw that should be reworked.

From a business persepective, what would cost more money? Replacing a customers diff when it fails or redesign the current differential. Millions will be spent either way but there better option is probably to replace the diffs when need be. I do believe they should have redesigned it for the 06's w/the many know problems but hey, it's business and the little guys always lose. Sometimes we get stuck w/the bull and they collect their money.

·
Registered
543 Posts
05CTS said:
Go visit another forum and see if that particular car has problems. Better yet check out a bunch of other forums. I bet you'll find problems with just about any car manufacturer. You make it seem like Caddy screwed you over. Shit happens. Thousands of cars/trucks are built a day by car companies. There are bound to be some that are just bad cars.Yes some of these diffs are bad, not all but more than what they should be. It's a design flaw that should be reworked.

From a business persepective, what would cost more money? Replacing a customers diff when it fails or redesign the current differential. Millions will be spent either way but there better option is probably to replace the diffs when need be. I do believe they should have redesigned it for the 06's w/the many know problems but hey, it's business and the little guys always lose. Sometimes we get stuck w/the bull and they collect their money.
Sounds like the approach 80's GM took.

The resulting loss of market share speaks for itself.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
RobertCTS said:
I've been a member of this forum way before i got my cts. I've had numerous dealership mishaps and numerous problems with my car but i still stuck with the car just because i still like the car even with problems. Now i'm one of the owners experiencing excessive noise from powertrain. Currently my rear end howls worse than the first one ever did and my transmission clunks and jerks but you know what i still drive the car. 1)because dealers here will just tell you that it's normal 2)I gave up on the quest to get my car fixed. I'm going to drive it until something major happens and we will see if they fix the car then.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
J.E.T. said:
Sorry Robert, I totally disagree with your assumption. My thinking is this, the majority of Caddy owners are old blue tips who drive their cars about ten thousand miles, maybe, and then trade for another. Most don't even know what the internet is all about. If they have a problem it gives them a chance to go sit in the dealership waiting room and drink the free coffee and eat donuts. It's a joke brother.........

JET

lol... right.... I'm 19 and I beat the shit outta my CTS everytime I drive it. Car is constantly in sport mode, and I"ve already killed one set of tires in less than 30,000kms. I drive my card harder that 99% of the world's population. My car's been completely fine.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Jon said:
lol... right.... I'm 19 and I beat the shit outta my CTS everytime I drive it. Car is constantly in sport mode, and I"ve already killed one set of tires in less than 30,000kms. I drive my card harder that 99% of the world's population. My car's been completely fine.
And mine was driven mostly in rush hour traffic where i'll be happy with 40mph max speed

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
strindl said:
You're doing it again Robert. This is a Cadillac forum for all people interested in the Cadillac Brand. That includes discussion of the good points AND the bad. I understand that you have not had any trouble with yours, but your experience is not the only one that counts.

You need to stop taking any negative comments people have about their Cadillac ownership experience, like it was a personal attack on you.
Strindl you silly person..you contradict yourself. I'm allowed to voice my opinion just like you think you can. My points are just as valid and important as yours.
So you really don't need to be giving me advice. I just see no purpose in bringing all the negative stuff to the Forum over and over and over again. These members can't make the problems go away.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts