Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
escalade
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a gas odor around my truck. Their are no engine codes. I don't have gas leaking anyway I check. How do I get rid of this problem? 2005 escalade 4wd 6.0 v8 62,000 miles.

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Triniboy said:
I am getting a gas odor around my truck. Their are no engine codes. I don't have gas leaking anyway I check. How do I get rid of this problem? 2005 escalade 4wd 6.0 v8 62,000 miles.
how long has this been going on, normally the evap system would pickup any leak and set a code, by chance are you from trinidad?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
Faulty fuel caps can also cause gasoline smell. Sometimes they'll turn on CEL, sometimes they won't.

If you remove the cap, is there a lot of pressure?

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Triniboy said:
GM said the fuel filter is a life time filter is this true?
yes the only fuel filtration is in the tank and it gets changed when the fuel pump goes out

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Triniboy said:
GM said the fuel filter is a life time filter is this true?
For the trucks that have no its not a life time filter(02 03 and I think 04)

The screen that comes with the pump it's for the life of the pump and gets replaced when it does

----------

wesyder said:
yes the only fuel filtration is in the tank and it gets changed when the fuel pump goes out
I think he was talking about the in line filter(my 03 has one as I had to replace it lately)

·
Registered
escalade
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am talking about the fuel filter under the driver side of the truck. I only have the gas odor when the
Truck is on.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Triniboy said:
I am talking about the fuel filter under the driver side of the truck. I only have the gas odor when the Truck is on.
Ah ok
It's got to have a leak somewhere when under pressure then

Now the filter does need replacing (forgot the milage though) I was told its best to change it every two years

The gas lines run on the driver's side of the truck so if there is a leak it would leave a spot(or puddle depending on how bad the leak is) btw the brake lines do also

I wonder if the evap valve is sticking open?(check engine light??)

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
No puddles?

I would still check the lines as it could be a evap hose loose or disconnected

It should be throwing a code but given how the modules in the truck can lag when reporting problems it may now but not telling you with the light

I would get access to a tech-2 and do a evap test it should help pinpoint the problem

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
Faulty fuel caps can also cause gasoline smell. Sometimes they'll turn on CEL, sometimes they won't. Nonetheless, fuel caps are cheap and easy to replace and the first thing I replace when I smell gas.

If you remove the cap, is there a lot of pressure?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mr Holland is right on the money. Over the years the seal wears out. I would get an OEM one of you replace it also. Start with the cheapest things first and go from there. I personally would call a Chevy dealer and get one from the same year of your Escalade, guaranteed it will save you a little cash as well.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
the cadillac man said:
Ah ok It's got to have a leak somewhere when under pressure then Now the filter does need replacing (forgot the milage though) I was told its best to change it every two years The gas lines run on the driver's side of the truck so if there is a leak it would leave a spot(or puddle depending on how bad the leak is) btw the brake lines do also I wonder if the evap valve is sticking open?(check engine light??)
Change the fuel filter once a year , realistically you don't want it to get clogged and the truck back fires and won't go past 2,000 rpm

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
godsdiablo said:
Change the fuel filter once a year , realistically you don't want it to get clogged and the truck back fires and won't go past 2,000 rpm
Been through that once and the bad part was I was on the interstate(not happening again ever)

That was scary for sure

Odd thing was it was bad enough that the truck was like it was in camel mode(literally barely any power) but I did make it home and checked it out to find the fuel filter had never been changed
I changed it and it's never gave a issue since

When the old filter was pulled it was almost completely plugged and I was amazed the truck even idled much less ran enough to get up to 70mph

I guess next oil change I will have it changed

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
45 Posts
Okay so I have a gas odor too, at the rear tire, on the driver side. It’s all the time whether the truck is on or off. No puddles or wet spots anywhere. I just changed the gas cap and no differance. Any new suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
Where the fuel lines attach on top of the fuel pump some bolts rusted and a small gas puddle was on top of the tank. The leak was so minute that it would evaporate before dripping. A new fuel pump fixed it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts