Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ESV
768 Posts
I need to replace this seal on my transmission as well. When I changed out the transfer case fluid, transmission fluid shot out of the fill plug. Transfer case must have been filled to the top.

GM changed the fluid recommendation to the Auto Trac (maybe Trak) 2 fluid. It's a blue-green fluid. But the owner's manual recommends ATF. The Auto Trac fluid in theory allows for longer life, but either fluid will be fine.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,281 Posts
I need to replace this seal on my transmission as well. When I changed out the transfer case fluid, transmission fluid shot out of the fill plug. Transfer case must have been filled to the top.

GM changed the fluid recommendation to the Auto Trac (maybe Trak) 2 fluid. It's a blue-green fluid. But the owner's manual recommends ATF. The Auto Trac fluid in theory allows for longer life, but either fluid will be fine.
I would just use Royal Purple MAX ATF or any full synthetic Dexron III fluid in my transfer-case since I do not know how well the Auto Trak II fluid mixes with Dexron ATF if at all in case I have an transmission seal leak in the future. If I have a leak now it will be Dexron VI ATF fluid mixing with Dexron III fluid, not ideal but seem safer to me than having the Autotrak mixed in with ATF fluid.

However, if my transmission seal leaks then my transfer-case would get filled will Dexron VI fluid which is also a bad thing since Dexron VI does not work well in the AWD transfer-case from what I read. So a transmission seal leak would just suck all the way around unless both the transmission and transfer-case was filled with Dexron III fluid.

Therefore, I may just fill my transmission up with Royal Purple Max ATF fluid to prevent damaging my transfer-case if my transmission seal does leak in the future. Dexron VI does seem to be more for the 6 speed auto and newer transfer cases, and not the older drive-train in our Caddys.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,281 Posts
NO!!!!! Do not use Royal Purple Max ATF fluid in the transmission. GM has updated the transmission fluid requirement in our Caddys to be used with Dexron VI in 2006, which is a better fluid to prevent transmission failures that occurred with Dexron III fluid.

Royal Purple Max ATF is not cleared to be used as an Dexron VI substitute to my knowledge based off the older bottles(2017-2018) I used. I use the Royal Purple Max ATF in my transfer-case since the transfer-case uses Dexron III and the Royal Purple fluid is only rated to be a Dexron III replacement.

I would suggest using only Dexron VI rated transmission fluid. I use AC/Delco full synthetic fluid in my transmission. Mixing Dexron VI with other Dexron fluids like Dexron III is fine, but it would be best to just flush the old Dexron III out your pan if you have a Caddy made before 2006.

I would also invest in an transmission pan with a drain bolt.
I stand corrected!!!!!

I did some more research based off the possibility of the transmission leaking into the transfer-case and feel that it would be best to use high quality Dexron III transmission fluid in our 4L65e transmission and AWD transfer-case in case of a transmission seal leak that could fill the transfer-case with transmission fluid. Dexron VI fluid is great for the 4L65e transmission, but it is too thin to be used in our AWD transfer-case. Dexron III or Autotrak II fluid is to used in the transfer-case per GM.

Therefore, I will just swap my transmission fluid to Dexron III by using high quality Royal Purple Max ATF fluid since it is the same fluid in my transfer-case in case of a seal leak. I never really considered what would happen if the transmission seal leaked Dexron VI fluid into my transfer-case. For what I read it would be very bad due to possibly wearing out my transfer-case. So I will just use the same full synthetic Dexron III fluid in both units since you never know if the transmission seal is leaking in the transfer-case until it already filled.

Sorry, for the misinformation. I am still learning more about how Dexron VI affects our older drive-train components which is not always in a good way it seems even though the fluid is supposed to be better overall than Dexron III.

If the transmission seal do not leak into the transfer-case then Dexron VI would be the best choice for transmission, however I do not want to risk messing up my transfer-case if the seal does fail so I will play it safe by using Royal Purple Max ATF in both units.

Reactions: BullzEye92

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV stock all well maintenanced
19 Posts
Wow that sounds intense,,, luckily my mechanic buddy said he’s done all that before
I feel like dropping the transmission is something difficult for me
Good information though
I might try to attempt this with my buddy
Am just thinking what’s the worst case scenario?
Besides breaking a bolt or two
Or would it be too much harm just leaving it at it’s current condition ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I stand corrected!!!!!

I did some more research based off the possibility of the transmission leaking into the transfer-case and feel that it would be best to use high quality Dexron III transmission fluid in our 4L65e transmission and AWD transfer-case in case of a transmission seal leak that could fill the transfer-case with transmission fluid. Dexron VI fluid is great for the 4L65e transmission, but it is too thin to be used in our AWD transfer-case. Dexron III or Autotrak II fluid is to used in the transfer-case per GM.

Therefore, I will just swap my transmission fluid to Dexron III by using high quality Royal Purple Max ATF fluid since it is the same fluid in my transfer-case in case of a seal leak. I never really considered what would happen if the transmission seal leaked Dexron VI fluid into my transfer-case. For what I read it would be very bad due to possibly wearing out my transfer-case. So I will just use the same full synthetic Dexron III fluid in both units since you never know if the transmission seal is leaking in the transfer-case until it already filled.

Sorry, for the misinformation. I am still learning more about how Dexron VI affects our older drive-train components which is not always in a good way it seems even though the fluid is supposed to be better overall than Dexron III.

If the transmission seal do not leak into the transfer-case then Dexron VI would be the best choice for transmission, however I do not want to risk messing up my transfer-case if the seal does fail so I will play it safe by using Royal Purple Max ATF in both units.

mmm I see
All good
At least where all finding out more about our cars I just got my ac Delco dex VI transmission oil today lol

I feel like I still might use this oil, would it be any harm if I mix it down the line with the royal purple ATF ? For the transmission?
So I would do drop/fill with dex VI twice then taper off to Royal purple ATF at least two more time,,, once every month do a change

and for the transfer case I might go with the royal purple synchromax,,,

I will post the video I seen on a this even though it’s a 07 Escalade,, I know ,, but am thinking/hoping it’s pretty similar
I’ll still do more research

·
Registered
19 Posts

Right man
I was shocked how much fluid came out my transfer case
It must of been 6 quarts
I was only able to put 2 back

And When I checked my tranny fluid it was the same ,,, i was thinking it would have been lowered since all this excess fluid had just drained

but the tranny level was the same so I wondered where was all this fluid even stored

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Wow that sounds intense,,, luckily my mechanic buddy said he’s done all that before
I feel like dropping the transmission is something difficult for me
Good information though
I might try to attempt this with my buddy
Am just thinking what’s the worst case scenario?
Besides breaking a bolt or two
Or would it be too much harm just leaving it at it’s current condition ?
Damn good question. I really do not know what happens when the AWD transfer-case in the Caddy is over-filled with ATF fluid and what may happen if its Dexron VI. New territory for me. I am only taking this serious because my Caddy seems to have any common leak(or any other issue) in this engine that is decribed on this forum, so I assume that I will get the transmission seal leak as well.

You do not have to drop the transmission to repair the seal, however you do have to remove the transfer-case to access the transmission rear seal. Smaller unit, but still heavy.

I would just replace the leaky transmission seal because I hate leaks and the possible damage the leak may cause so I would just fix it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
mmm I see
All good
At least where all finding out more about our cars I just got my ac Delco dex VI transmission oil today lol

I feel like I still might use this oil, would it be any harm if I mix it down the line with the royal purple ATF ? For the transmission?
So I would do drop/fill with dex VI twice then taper off to Royal purple ATF at least two more time,,, once every month do a change

and for the transfer case I might go with the royal purple synchromax,,,

I will post the video I seen on a this even though it’s a 07 Escalade,, I know ,, but am thinking/hoping it’s pretty similar
I’ll still do more research

I will drain my Dexron VI and fill with Royal Purple ATF for the next few gear oil changes every few weeks for about three changes to remove as much Dexron VI fluid as possible. I will stick with the Royal Purple ATF in my transfer-case since GM recommends Dexron III not manual gear oil.

The gear oil/transfercase fluid change process is the same for my 2006 model as it is for the 2010 model in the video. Simple.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Right man
I was shocked how much fluid came out my transfer case
It must of been 6 quarts
I was only able to put 2 back

And When I checked my tranny fluid it was the same ,,, i was thinking it would have been lowered since all this excess fluid had just drained

but the tranny level was the same so I wondered where was all this fluid even stored
I believe that the ATF fluid do not flow back into the transmission once its enters the transfer-case. I believe the extra fluid just flows down into the transfer-case housing and is trapped until drained. The overflow ATF that fills the area above the transfer-case cavity may flow back into the transmission. As long as the transmission pan is full then your transmission fluid level reading will be good, especially if it was topped off.

However, in given time the ATF will just flow back into the transfer-case until the seal is replaced and then you will have to top off the transmission fluid level again.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Damn. I may have been overthinking the Dexron VI fluid leaking into the transfer-case issue for our particular transfer case(BW4481). I have done some more research about why some transfer-cases fail with Dexron VI ATF fluid and it is because they have clutch packs it seems that do not work well with Dexron VI ATF fluid for whatever reason. The BW4481 AWD unit in the 2003-2006 models uses a viscous coupler not a clutch pack so it appears that Dexron VI fluid should be find inside the unit. Not 100% certain, but it seems that Dexron VI would work fine in our full-time AWD system.

Most information online states the older 4X4/AWD systems with a driver controlled "Auto" button on the dash should not use Dexron VI ATF, only Dexron III or Autorax II fluid. Those systems has clutch packs to distribute the power to the wheels, however the 2003+ AWD system is an open gear system that uses the brake system to help distribute the power.

So I will just chill and continue to use Dexron VI in my transmission and Royal Purple Dexron III ATF in my transfer case and hope for the best.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts