Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've searched youtube all day, as well as google and finally came across this page so I'm hoping this will be my final stop for some help. I just bought an 05 Escalade EXT (8th character in my vin is an " N " ) and the Transmission light is on. I took it to AUTO zone to have the code read and they said the transmission was slipping. Then they sent me on my way with some Lucas slipping tranny fluid or something. Instead of using this fluid, i would just like to change the fluid because I dont know when it was last changed. Problem is, I cant find a how to online for the 05 EXT.

I saw this write up online http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/154002-transmission-fluid-change.html but unfortunately its for an 04 I believe and for some reason I cant see the pictures. Can someone tell me the steps to change the transmission fluid in my EXT? as well as the tranny fluid filter. I would rather do this myself, but I've never done a tranny fluid change. Is it as simple as dropping the pan and exchanging the fluid?

Please help.

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,146 Posts
There are a couple of different DIY scenarios. Instead of search for your specific truck on youtube I would use the transmission model, found on your glove box card.

I had a shop replace filter and all ATF, for less than $200.00 not so long ago. First they dropped the pan, changed out filter bolted pan back up. Then disconnected the 2 tranny lines to radiator aqnd hooked up the 2 lines to a machine that then ran the new ATF into transmission.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,281 Posts
Hello all,

I've searched youtube all day, as well as google and finally came across this page so I'm hoping this will be my final stop for some help. I just bought an 05 Escalade EXT (8th character in my vin is an " N " ) and the Transmission light is on. I took it to AUTO zone to have the code read and they said the transmission was slipping. Then they sent me on my way with some Lucas slipping tranny fluid or something. Instead of using this fluid, i would just like to change the fluid because I dont know when it was last changed. Problem is, I cant find a how to online for the 05 EXT.

I saw this write up online http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/154002-transmission-fluid-change.html but unfortunately its for an 04 I believe and for some reason I cant see the pictures. Can someone tell me the steps to change the transmission fluid in my EXT? as well as the tranny fluid filter. I would rather do this myself, but I've never done a tranny fluid change. Is it as simple as dropping the pan and exchanging the fluid?

Please help.
My advice would be to pay to use the AC Delco online service manuals to learn the proper procedure and save the information as saved PDF print files. You can rent access for 2 or 3 days for $30 dollars or so. While you have access you can make as many copies of repair sections as needed to be used later.

Here is the link.
https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/home

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,146 Posts
So you did the flush?
I guess one would call it a "flush". I forgot the number of quarts that was replaced, but it was a lot. I have "flushed/filter" our transmission twice now at the 100k marks. I will soon be "flush/filter"
again for the 3rd time as I am creeping up to the 300k mile marker!

From what I was told by the shop that "flushed" my transmission, is that their machine hooks to the radiator lines and supplies just enough pressure to allow atf to get to the transmission internal pump to take over. What also is nice about this is, that the torque converter (which holds the majority of ATF) also gets flushed as well. Drain and fills will never get most of that ATF out.

; said:
I read on here on different threads that flushing is not a good idea. ???
I am not going to get into the "not a good idea" debate. All my years of having automatic transmissions, I chose to "flush" rather than waste my time, plus extra $$$$ on ATF that would be drained on a "drain and refill" bases, which how many drains would be required to match that of 1 flush and done.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,151 Posts
I've had vehicles flushed in the past and I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,281 Posts
LOL. The flush if done properly should not cause a problem, especially when just flushing the old fluid out with new fluid through the cooler lines with the engine idling. The same could said of doing multiple drain and fills over a length of time which is no different than doing an engine oil change. No one ever flush all of the old engine oil when doing an oil change. Old engine oil is still left in the engine block and oil cooler lines when just draining oil from the drain plug, however engine still runs just fine when it is done regularly. Both methods(drain/fill and flushing) will work just fine for a long lasting transmission if both methods are done correctly.

I will use about 20 quarts of transmission fluid over a 100k mile period(ten years) by an doing drain and fill every 30k miles(2-3 years). 5 quarts for my initial pan drop and filter change; about 15 quarts for the following drain and fills through the drain plug. From what I read it would take about the same number of quarts to properly flush the old fluid out through the cooler lines while having the engine idle. Maybe a few less.

I am more concerned about accidentally running out of fluid during a flush with the engine idling which could mess up the transmission than mixing old and new fluids. Machine flushing can be bad if the the tech is inexperienced and the old fluid in the machine is not properly flushed since those machines usually service multiple vehicles which could use different transmission fluids.

Drain and fills work for me, even if they are more work overall and more costly over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your help.. I went ahead and did the change myself. It was a nightmare. The exhaust and some cable (possibly the E-brake) line was in the way, making it very hard to remove the pan. I ended up prying on the top of the exhaust using the cross member and a breaker bar to help. I also used a screw driver on the bracket holding that unknown line in order to push it out of the way you just enough for the pan to come out.. Now its done and all put back. Unfortunately there is now a moderate leak and I feel defeated to the point that I may just take it to the shop in the morning. Uugghhh..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thank you all for your help.. I went ahead and did the change myself. It was a nightmare. The exhaust and some cable (possibly the E-brake) line was in the way, making it very hard to remove the pan. I ended up prying on the top of the exhaust using the cross member and a breaker bar to help. I also used a screw driver on the bracket holding that unknown line in order to push it out of the way you just enough for the pan to come out.. Now its done and all put back. Unfortunately there is now a moderate leak and I feel defeated to the point that I may just take it to the shop in the morning. Uugghhh..
Did you use a new transmission pan gasket? And what torque number did you torque the pan bolts to?

Note: If you are going to do the drain and fill method; I would suggest you buy a transmission pan with a drain bolt when you pull the pan again. If you go with the flush method then the OEM pan with a new gasket/filter should be fine.

Could you post some pics to help us help you. A picture speak a thousand words.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed a new filter and gasket. I did the drain and fill on it. Torque? I torqued it to snug.. Not sure What the torque should have been for this.. I did look online at new pans, I saw the pans with the drain plug your talking about. Just need to figure out such one fits my specific vehicle.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I installed a new filter and gasket. I did the drain and fill on it. Torque? I torqued it to snug.. Not sure What the torque should have been for this.. I did look online at new pans, I saw the pans with the drain plug your talking about. Just need to figure out such one fits my specific vehicle.
You have to tighten pan bolts to a specific torque. Your leak could be from unequally insufficiently secured pan bolts. The transmission pan bolts should be torqued to 10 lb-ft in a crisscross pattern.

Over tightening pan bolts can also flatten/damage the gasket and cause leaks also.

A word of advice, download the service manual I linked in post #4 in this thread if you are going to do your own repair work and maintenance to help do the job correctly and save money in the long run. $30 well spent in my opinion.

Any 4L60E or 4L65E truck pan will work, however many aftermarket pans will have a larger capacity to hold about 2 more quarts of fluid than the stock pan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 99 Suburban and I did a simple flush in my driveway. I just took off the top radiator line and then connected a hose to the radiator and ran it into a bucket. Had my wife start the vehicle and it pumped out tranny fluid. I had a 5 gallon bucket which I had marked in 4 quart intervals and when it hit the 4 quart mark had her shut it off and then I would pour 4 new quarts in. I kept that up until I started getting brand new fluid coming out the hose. You can replace exactly what you take out if you are careful. My only problem was that initially I didn't understand the direction of flow and I shot some out on the driveway the first time I started it because I had the hose on the tranny line and not connected to the radiator as I should have. I think I bought a fitting with a push on rubber hose connection on one end that would screw into the radiator. It did work well for us. The suburban had 240K on it when we sold it. I plan on using this same principal with our new 04 Escalade esv this summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took everything apart again and when the pan was down and out I noticed a little dimple in it. Which was in the same location the fluid was leaking out of. So I went and bought an aftermarket pan with the drain plug in it for a future fluid changes installed it and no more leaks. However, a little piece of plastic broke on the line that was next to the transmission fluid pan Which I come to find out is the shifting cable. Now the truck won't go into Park. It goes into every other gear except for Park. Can anyone tell me what this part is called and if it's an easy job to fix or replace

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV stock all well maintenanced
19 Posts
LOL. The flush if done properly should not cause a problem, especially when just flushing the old fluid out with new fluid through the cooler lines with the engine idling. The same could said of doing multiple drain and fills over a length of time which is no different than doing an engine oil change. No one ever flush all of the old engine oil when doing an oil change. Old engine oil is still left in the engine block and oil cooler lines when just draining oil from the drain plug, however engine still runs just fine when it is done regularly. Both methods(drain/fill and flushing) will work just fine for a long lasting transmission if both methods are done correctly.

I will use about 20 quarts of transmission fluid over a 100k mile period(ten years) by an doing drain and fill every 30k miles(2-3 years). 5 quarts for my initial pan drop and filter change; about 15 quarts for the following drain and fills through the drain plug. From what I read it would take about the same number of quarts to properly flush the old fluid out through the cooler lines while having the engine idle. Maybe a few less.

I am more concerned about accidentally running out of fluid during a flush with the engine idling which could mess up the transmission than mixing old and new fluids. Machine flushing can be bad if the the tech is inexperienced and the old fluid in the machine is not properly flushed since those machines usually service multiple vehicles which could use different transmission fluids.

Drain and fills work for me, even if they are more work overall and more costly over time.

Greetings carguy75
You know your knowledge
Props

ama do drain and fill With my transmission fluid
But I wanna start putting the royal purple max atf

my question is I took it to the shop for a flush at 120,000 and am just about to hit 200,000 mark

I know they didn’t put no royal purple,
But would it be okay if I drop the pan and fill it back with royal purple ?

so it would only be a small portion of royal purple? Mixed in with the existing transmission fluid,,,

would that be okay ? Or is there any harm done ?
I plan on doing this like 3 more times at At every 3,000

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Greetings carguy75
You know your knowledge
Props

ama do drain and fill With my transmission fluid
But I wanna start putting the royal purple max atf

my question is I took it to the shop for a flush at 120,000 and am just about to hit 200,000 mark

I know they didn’t put no royal purple,
But would it be okay if I drop the pan and fill it back with royal purple ?

so it would only be a small portion of royal purple? Mixed in with the existing transmission fluid,,,

would that be okay ? Or is there any harm done ?
I plan on doing this like 3 more times at At every 3,000
NO!!!!! Do not use Royal Purple Max ATF fluid in the transmission. GM has updated the transmission fluid requirement in our Caddys to be used with Dexron VI in 2006, which is a better fluid to prevent transmission failures that occurred with Dexron III fluid.

Royal Purple Max ATF is not cleared to be used as an Dexron VI substitute to my knowledge based off the older bottles(2017-2018) I used. I use the Royal Purple Max ATF in my transfer-case since the transfer-case uses Dexron III and the Royal Purple fluid is only rated to be a Dexron III replacement.

I would suggest using only Dexron VI rated transmission fluid. I use AC/Delco full synthetic fluid in my transmission. Mixing Dexron VI with other Dexron fluids like Dexron III is fine, but it would be best to just flush the old Dexron III out your pan if you have a Caddy made before 2006.

I would also invest in an transmission pan with a drain bolt.

Reactions: BullzEye92

·
Registered
19 Posts
Niceee Good stuff man
I was about to order the royal purple,
I do have royal purple for my front/back differential and transfer case
75/90 i believe ,,, any harm there?
Should I put the ATF for the transfer case ?
I heard I could put either or for that ,,,

And I have the pan in hand already, I was just waiting on which oil would be the best choice,,, these drain holes are a must too, I put one on for the back differential a while ago too
Thanks man

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Niceee Good stuff man
I was about to order the royal purple,
I do have royal purple for my front/back differential and transfer case
75/90 i believe ,,, any harm there?
Should I put the ATF for the transfer case ?
I heard I could put either or for that ,,,

And I have the pan in hand already, I was just waiting on which oil would be the best choice,,, these drain holes are a must too, I put one on for the back differential a while ago too
Thanks man
No problem.

To my understanding, the transfer-case uses only Dexron III ATF or a newer blue colored OEM transfer-case specific fluid for AWD transfer-cases(Autotrak II fluid I think it called).

75w-90 gear oil is just for the differentials I believe. I also use Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil in my diffs. I have been using Royal Purple Max ATF in my transfer-case for about three years now and no issues so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No problem.

To my understanding, the transfer-case uses only Dexron III ATF or a newer blue colored OEM transfer-case specific fluid for AWD transfer-cases(Autotrak II fluid I think it called).

75w-90 gear oil is just for the differentials I believe. I also use Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil in my diffs. I have been using Royal Purple Max ATF in my transfer-case for about three years now and no issues so far.
okay sounds about right
I will replace my transfer case fluids with ATF
And by any chance do you know anything about the transfer case
I know when I first changed it about about 8 quarts came out I was shocked
But i was only able to get two back in there I think
Or long story short
More fluid came out than I was able to put back in
A lot of fluid came out

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
okay sounds about right
I will replace my transfer case fluids with ATF
And by any chance do you know anything about the transfer case
I know when I first changed it about about 8 quarts came out I was shocked
But i was only able to get two back in there I think
Or long story short
More fluid came out than I was able to put back in
A lot of fluid came out
I not an expert, however you may have an leak in the seal where the transmission and transfer-case join which allows extra transmission fluid to leak into the transfer-case. When filling through the transfer-case fill hole the extra fluid will flow out of the fill hole at about 2 quarts, however with the fill-bolt in place the extra fluid just fill up the unit from the inside when the source is the transmission.

Therefore, I would suggest that you replace the seal/gasket that is located between the transfer-case and transmission. I would also check your transmission fluid level as well.

This video explain how to replace the seal or actually o-ring and tail-housing removal.

The actually source of the internal leak would be the transmission output shaft seal. I cannot find 4L60e videos with the tail-housing off to repair that specific transmission seal, but a few 4L80e videos are available for the tranmission rear seal replacement which should be a similar process to changing the 4L60e rear transmission seal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts