Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm sure if I dug enough this would come up, but if I do go with one of the bypass shock systems, do I unplug the compressor to keep it from running?

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
As was recently answered for me, pull the RTD fuse in the under hood fusebox and disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Some say 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hello. I'm sure if I dug enough this would come up, but if I do go with one of the bypass shock systems, do I unplug the compressor to keep it from running?
Yes, you can leave the compressor plugged up when you do a RTD fuse bypass since removing the fuse disables the entire road/load leveling sensing control system.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
As was recently answered for me, pull the RTD fuse in the under hood fusebox and disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Some say 30 minutes.
Mostly correct. You should remove the RTD fuse only after you remove the battery cable(negative or positive) and then reattach the cables with the RTD fuse removed.

This is the way I disabled my RTD system and it have been trouble free so far a year later.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Mostly correct? If you disconnect the battery you remove power from the Suspension Control Module. If you pull the RTD fuse you remove power from the Suspension Control Module. Whats the difference? After 10 minutes all the capacitors on all the modules discharge and when you re-connect the battery all the modules reboot except the Suspension Control Module. I understand your old electronics teacher has steered you wrong in the past.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Mostly correct? If you disconnect the battery you remove power from the Suspension Control Module. If you pull the RTD fuse you remove power from the Suspension Control Module. Whats the difference? After 10 minutes all the capacitors on all the modules discharge and when you re-connect the battery all the modules reboot except the Suspension Control Module. I understand your old electronics teacher has steered you wrong in the past.
Calm down. I only say this because the RTD system is always active when connected to the battery even when the key is not in the ignition, so it may trigger an error code if the fuse is pulled while still connected to the power source. However, pulling the fuse before disconnecting the battery could work as well I suppose. I was told long ago to remove the negative battery cable before working on car electronic modules and I have never had any issue by doing so including this RTD bypass. If you prefer doing it your way so be it.

I have no idea how my electronic teacher got implicated in this discussion in a negative fashion considering most instructions for car electrical work always tell you to disconnect the negative battery before working on car electronics.

Someone needs a hug.:)

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Previously in another post you mentioned your electrical training in which you were also incorrect. You started it again with your "mostly correct" comment. Removing either lead will disconnect the battery from the circuit. If removing the RTD fuse before disconnecting the battery would throw a code the system reboot after re-connection will clear the code.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Previously in another post you mentioned your electrical training in which you were also incorrect. You started it again with your "mostly correct" comment. Removing either lead will disconnect the battery from the circuit. If removing the RTD fuse before disconnecting the battery would throw a code the system reboot after re-connection will clear the code.
I work in the medical field by trade(Radiology to be exact). My electrical training is very old to be honest,(high school and some college) but it is enough to get me by on DIY projects. I am sure that you are not all ways correct about everything. Even so, I am not wrong regardless. I am still correct that the "proper" step to do before working on anything electrical in a car is to first disconnect the negative battery terminal. You can argue that all day, but you know what i say is true.

Read any instruction that deals with car electrical modules and they all state that you disconnect the battery terminal first. Enough said on my part. I will not continue to argue over this matter because your ego got hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts