Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade ESC AWD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wiper motor blew on my 05 had blown out a few months back and I replace the motor a few weeks back. I worked but then it stopped working again, when I turn on the motor there was no sound. So I went ahead and got another motor from amazon. installed the new one and nothing. It wasn't moving at all, but I do hear the motor making a clicking/ humming sound. I went online and searched for this issue, many have said it was the grounding wire. So I went and stripped the green wire, and rewired the end to a nice clean metal area in the rear tail gate. reinstalled the motor and the same thing happened, just a humming/ clicking sound. I thought it was the motor and got a new one but the same thing happened again. Any ideas on what's wrong? I checked the fuses and they are all working.

A little more detail on the wiring job.

I cut the green wire that was coming from the car to the connecter head (the part where you plug it into the motor) I capped off the end that was coming from the car. Then I connected a new wire (18 gauge) from the harness head to a clean metal surface. I made sure everything was tight, connected, and all sealed up. Should I have wired the end from the car to the metal plate as well?

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
134 Posts
Sup Z....

I am not completely clear on where exactly you are cutting and reconnecting the wires for your rear wiper motor but it sounds like you are working with the wires that connect to the wiper motor in the tailgate. While I don't count out funky grounding issues at the wiper motor harness, you should look at the harness that comes into the tailgate from the body at the very top right when the tailgate door is open. There is a black grounding wire that has been know to burn and melt the harness causing intermittent issues with the rear wiper motor. I also replaced my motor and cleaned up all the grounds in the actual tailgate and found that it did not solve my issue. When I removed the rubber grommet at the top of the tailgate and pulled back on the wires, I saw the ground wire had melted the harness where it connects to the tailgate harness plug. I cut and soldered a new wire of the same gauge and ran it thru the harness and soldered it to the tailgate harness direct. The only negative with doing this would be that you wont be able to just unplug that harness as the ground wires are connected directly but for me it does not matter as I hope to never have to do this repair there again. Make sure to inspect the other wires there as well because the ground could have damaged the surrounding ones too. This fixed my rear wiper issue. This repair can be done for a few bucks and take about 20 min. It was a big time fail on my part for me to not take any picts of this when I did my repair but I watched this video and it work perfectly. Check out the video below*** Make sure to disconnect the battery!!!***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_NE1ehiCLc&t=527s

Hope this helps

Ray Tailgate.JPG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts