Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 DTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2005 black DTS, that has just about every option that was available at the time. I really like the car. I dropped the car off at my mechanic yesterday, since it was having trouble starting, and much to my shock, when he called to let me know what the problem was, he informed me the engine has been destroyed due to a bad timing chain? I'm not exactely sure what he was saying, but something to the effect that the broken chain has caused aluminum from the engine to get in the oil, and the engine is shot.

Needless to say, I not familiar with cars. The car only has 118K on it and is in really good condition. The mechanic informed me that, even if he fixed it, (which he won't), since it would cost $3000, and he couldnt guarantee the engine would last. What do I do with the car? Just sell it for junk. or could I possibly get $1000 for it?

Thanks,
Bill Fisher

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,841 Posts
Get a second opinion. Timing chains (there are 3) on these engines are forever.

If any one of the chains was broken you would have a LOT more than poor starting capability.

Thread moved to Deville - your car is a real Deville Touring Sedan - not the 2006 and later wannabe "DTS".

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,853 Posts
I agree with Sub -
take it somewhere else -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,184 Posts
I'll make it unanimous. Timing chains are almost indestructible.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,841 Posts
He hasn't logged in since 22 May.

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
I had this exact same situation. To a "T" 03 DTS

Took it Cadillac and had them perform a full work up, to which they confirmed the rarity of a timing chain issue, but they put it in writing that I did not have a timing chain related or blow by issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts