Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 DTS Limousine
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 05 Deville in our fleet with 65,000 miles. We saw a leak under the car and carried it to the dealership. They called back with a list a mile long of what it needed and I need advice as to what is an immediate need and what can wait. Power steering pressure hose, transmission output shaft shield,transmission pan gaskett and 2 valve cover gaskets for a price of $ 1,817.00. oil pan and spacer plates rear main sealand front cover gaskets for a price of $ 1,475.00. This car has been well maintained since purchased new and I just can't believe it needs all of these things. The wholsale price of this car is only a couple of thousand dollars more. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Yes the oil leak and power steering fluid can mix together and make figuring out what the stain is on the ground. Or are there 2 different colored puddles on the ground? Maybe 3? I assume your coolant will be leaking next. Very annoying for this high tech sophisticated motor to leak at every seam.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Any dealer can find a multitude of items on an 8 year old car that "need" replacing when they are making over $100/hr, plus a healthy mark up on parts. Every gasket with the slightest seepage would "need" replacing. It's hard to answer your question from here. You might want to get a second and maybe even third opinion.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,272 Posts
I'm with Ranger 100% -
go to an independent shop - and get a second opinion -

you asked the dealer to find leaks - and they did -
they SHOULD have broken it down for you as to WHICH leaks were really bad -
and which ones you can live with -

what's funny is that they didn't mention the most common cause for oil leaks -
oil pressure switch and oil filter adapter -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts