Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just picked up an 05 DeVille with 31k on it. I noticed right away that the rear wheel had significant negative camber. I had both rear wheel bearing replaced per my mechanics suggestion and had a 4 wheel alignment. There is still some camber in the rear end... The print out from the 4 wheel alignment indicated -1.9 and -2.1 camber in the rear wheels. I was told there was no camber adjustments to be made and that "some" cadillac models are designed to have rear camber. Is this true? They did indicate I could buy a shim kit and have it shimmed, but there is not uneven tread wear, she rides like a dream, and they mechanic told me that performance should not be an issue with the rear camber I have. I would just like to know if a certain amount of negative rear end camber is normal or should I be thinking of having it fixed? Just didnt look right to me!

·
Registered
2005 Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my thoughts exactly! I was told the right rear was junk and the left rear was showing signs of wear. So I had them do the rears together... When I asked why at 31k did I need wheel bearings, I was told that GM has started using cheap metal from overseas. Of course the pirates at the dealership found no manufacturing defects in them and wanted me to replace all 4 for a mere $2700! Quickly found a non dealer mechanic to do the work and look through the car. He said the fronts were just fine, kind of makes me want to go back to the dealership and say something :(

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I would suspect prior accident damage or significant corrosion damage or SOMETHING. Something is fishy here. Normally I'd say does the car have original paint, but that kind of damage can also be caused by running over curbs or other debris with alot of force, which can affect bearings and anything else in the undercarriage. 31k is awfully low mileage for that kind of work.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah accident was my first thought too... However, after taking it to 2 different mechanics, they both could not find any evidence of the car being hit in the rear. I also had a carfax done before I bought it and there was no report of collision. I know you cant rely on a carfax, but with 2 mechanics saying they cant find evidence of impact back there, I ruled it out for now. My question is, what kind of impact would cause wheel bearings to go bad. From what I have read, the car would have almost had to have been pushed sideways for a period of time for that to be the case. I am going with the cheap and cost effective overseas metal as the case. So despite all other theories, is the negative camber in the rear wheels acceptable for that model?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
The '03 FSM says rear camber should be -0.30 to 0.50

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,504 Posts
If you have negative camber, is the rear of the car at the correct ride height, as in not squatted down ??? The rear should be just a tad higher than the front...... looking at the side from a distance, on level ground, the car should have a tiny hint of rake.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car looks fine from a dstance. It is not sagging in the rear at all. I can see a hint of rake, nothing drastic, but surely not sitting downhill! Thanks for the help...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts