Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mirror body that folds in or out is very loose and will not stay in one position. Is there a way to tighten this up and if so how?

Thanks for any help.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Not sure, but I would suspect you can tighten it, but you are going to have to remove the door panel to gain access.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. So to adjust and tighten the fold away part of the mirror on a 2005 DeVille you have open the door panel?

·
Registered
96 Concours, 05 DHS
184 Posts
It looks as if you MIGHT be able to access the folding hinge mechanism without taking the mirror off the car. The mirror glass is a separate replaceable item and can be removed and reinstalled. There are some tricks to getting it out and reinstalling the glass, so if you can lay your hands on a FSM it would be useful. The FSM doesn't seem to address how to deal with a loose hinge, but their picture of the glass removal shows what looks to be a nut at the hinge location. I don't know if I can scan and post the picture tonight, but it might be online somewhere.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spotty thank you so much for your reply. What does FSM stand for? I looked in the acronyms sticky but could not find it.

Thank you
Mike

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
I didn't think of that. The mirror is held in by 4 ball & sockets. Turn the mirror full inboard and pry it loose from the outer edge. When reinstalling it, I'd cut a piece of 2x4 or plywood to lay over the outer edge so as not to put too much pressure on the g lass as you press it back in place.

In this picture you can see the 6:00 & 9:00 sockets. The 12:00 & 3:00 have the ball end broken off of the actuators and still attached to the glass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2005-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-SEVILLE-L-HEATED-MIRROR-GLASS-AUTO-DIMM-DRIVER-/181729643934?fits=Make:Cadillac|Model:DeVille

·
Registered
2005 Deville
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the help. So when I pull the mirror what should come out with it on the back, so I know I didn't break anything? Does anyone have a picture of what the back should look like when pulled correctly? Any more advice on removal ?

Thanks again for the help.
Mike

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
It should look just like the one in the link above.

Removal is as described above.

Reinstalling is the hardest part. Getting everything lined up all at once can take a few tries. Take your time.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
All four sockets should look like the 9:00 & 6:00 positions in my link. If any look like the 12:00 & 3:00, you broke it.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information. When I heal up from a bad chest cold I will give the fix a try and report back how it went.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts